Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking I’m going to stick with my 2004 Yamaha SXV 600 I picked up at the end of the season. Super clean seems to run really nice yadda yadda. It does have close to 7000 miles though.

i want it rebuilt and the whole engine and sled gone over basically. What would the average price of this be at a shop?

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
More than the sled is worth!
The pistons are going to cost you over $100 ea as well as the gaskets!
The labor is going to be over $100 an hour as well!
This is exactly why we are all here!
I would be happy to see about what You can get pistons and gaskets and seals for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
More than the sled is worth!
The pistons are going to cost you over $100 ea as well as the gaskets!
The labor is going to be over $100 an hour as well!
This is exactly why we are all here!
I would be happy to see about what You can get pistons and gaskets and seals for you.
yeah. I know it'd be a lot. I don't know I'm just not comfortable right now trying to take the engine apart without knowing what I'm doing. I also don't have hardly any tools on hand.

Any idea the average hours it takes to do this?

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Cost will vary from shop to shop. The dealers will be the most expensive. Call around to a few independent shops in your area and ask them.

A long time ago, I had a dealer shop just install an engine into a sled. I provided the engine, they installed it. Just for that, I was charged about $700. That's when I decided if I was going to learn to do my own work. Like KC said, that's why most of us are here... to learn and to help others.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Even independent shops can get pricey. Most shops will let you remove the motor and deliver to them and then you put the motor back in. This saves a lot of money, but it also means that all the tuning is up to you and often the repair shop will say no warranty or won't back any warranty they normally give.

So how much? Parts can be as little as $300 for a top end, to being over $1000 for cranks. Then add in anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours labor..

Last 600 I did took me about 6 hours over 3 days. Granted, I cleaned every single part so the motor was nice and shiny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Considering, if you take the money a mechanic would charge, you can buy just about all the tools.
You get to keep all the tools and learn all about your machine.
I got most of my tools cheap at HF and some from Amazon, nothing fancy.

I bought my first sled 5 days ago, a cheap non runner, I know nothing about these machines.
Compression tested very low.
The engine is sitting on the bench waiting for a piston at the moment.
I'm a retired baker. Draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nece$$ity compels some of us.
If I had the lolly to pay a tech I'd buy new(ish).
I’ve been all over the place on what I want to do but a local dealer has a 19 Polaris Indy 600 sp with 40 miles for $7999. I think I’m going to scoop it up

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve been all over the place on what I want to do but a local dealer has a 19 Polaris Indy 600 sp with 40 miles for $7999. I think I’m going to scoop it up
Happy trails to you....sounds like a dealer demo model with only 40 miles.
Basically brand new. !

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,149 Posts
I would just rebuild the top end. I know people who have done it and they say it's not that difficult. And they're backyard mechanics at best. It you must bring it in, I still would stick with the top end.....jmo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m going to atleast do the top end this summer. I can build a computer but when it comes to mechanics I’ve never bothered or had anyone to show me. Everyone seems to be recommending I replace the seals and get the cylinders honed so I don’t know. I’m hoping I can find a friend I can pay to help me along with all this.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,149 Posts
You can do it....... Say, did you ever do a compression check? I forget.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can do it....... Say, did you ever do a compression check? I forget.....
I had a compression test done on my arctic cat, not the Yamaha. I do know the Yamaha ran great though the little bit I got to ride it in Michigan. I was able to ride it in the mountains too but didn’t adjust it for the altitude so it ran like sh*t.

it’s got almost 7k miles so I figure it needs a top end done just to be safe

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,149 Posts
Do a compression check b4 tearing it down, it may be fine.. It's a Yammy...😉

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,149 Posts
Everyone loves spending "your" money....😉
Post up your #s...

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Everyone loves spending "your" money....😉
It's always more fun spending someone else's money ;)

Personally, I would not mess with it until I had hard-starting issues related to wear. Yamaha engines are pretty durable and known to go a long time. The smaller the engine, the more durable it seems to be. Your call, though. Replacing parts in the middle of summer beats staring at a dead sled in the garage when there's 12" of new snow to play on....

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
OMG THIS AINT BRAIN SURGERY!
I've done a top end in the back of by box truck on the road to Wisconsin to ride!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts