Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im desperately looking for a new gearbox for polaris indy 1998 488cc. Maybe somebody dealing with spare parts might have it or at least the 2 gears that ive added pictures of.

Also i live in Estonia so even if there is one is it possible to ship it here too?
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Wheel

Gear Bicycle part Wood Crankset Rim
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Circle

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Those chaincases were pretty much all the same from that era unless you have reverse which it looks like you do then the gears and what not will be different.

You will need a 20 tooth top and 40 tooth bottom since this is a Euro Touring Trail with reverse it looks like according to Polaris Browse. Part numbers are for the top 20 tooth gear are 3221087 or 2900004. 40 tooth gear part number is 1341224 or 1341227. Best to check eBay and places like that and see if they will ship to your country. If they don't show that on the listing then ask them never know since those parts are so small. GL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Coolhand, I dont fully understand your response, do you mean that the 20 tooth top and 40 tooth bottom one could still work (the serials that you replied)? So i could basically replace it with some other indy500 gearbox or with the gears you just mentioned? Because i have 52 tooth and 41 tooth ones. If yes will i still be able to use reverse gear (I dont mind having only forward)?

I got offered a set of original gears. Everything seems fine but the only problem is that second gear has 41 teeth instead of 40. Will that be a problem?

I got the blueprints here 1998 Polaris TRAIL TOURING (0982362) Chaincase Trail Touring & European Trail Touring E982362 | Babbitts Polaris Partshouse

After googling the 1341227 (part 39) they all have 40 teeth. Could i still install them? picture of gears below
White Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The numbers I replied with are what came stock with that Euro Trail Touring. I don't know if those would work or not. The chain is setup for reverse and so is the case. You would have to probably get a case and chain from one that didn't have reverse. Not sure maybe someone else can tell you. If you got a set of 20 tooth for the top gear and 41 for the bottom it might work maybe dan can tell you better. Gearing really isn't my thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts