Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, so it is day 2 with the new (used) sleds. After 35 pulls of the 98 formula Z 583 the dang thing started (with new plugs installed prior to attempting to start). I did as the previous owner had suggested 4 primes then pull. Well "F" me I am so sore from pulling that it reminded me of my 76 elan and 71 olympic. What do I need to do? Only 5200km on this sled and a temp of -9 deg C today.
Also my 99 Formula 800 how long do I wait before I switch the "choke" off. as today along with the Z 583 it took removal of the plugs 3 times to burn off fuel and stalled (bogged) every time the choke was closed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had a 95 MXZ that usually took 3 pumps to prime when it was cold. It would flood sometimes and then I'd have to hold the throttle open and pull a few times to get it to fire. Does it feel like the primer is pumping fuel when you pull it? Maybe take a look at the gas lines while you prime it to make sure it is moving fuel. Mine did not have a choke, just the primer. On my 2000 MXZ I leave the choke on full for less than a minute, then half for a minute or so and then off and let it warm up another minute or two. I'm guessing at the length of my minutes! always hard to wait very long when your getting ready to go, but it is a good idea to do so!

·
Registered
315 Posts
the 583's can be a bear to start some times , mine can be , i found ngk,s seem to make it start easier . the cold makes it even harder , my old phazer is a two pull sled , the temp was below zero around christmas here and it took 300 plus pulls and finally a shot
of ether to get it lit up ! sometimes you just gotta give it a small shot ,to get it going !

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
as stated, take a look at the small fuel lines coming out of the primer to be sure that it's working (these are a very common problem).

X2 on everything brandcole73 said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts