Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should you use a sealer with the carb gasket, 71 panther 440. My setup is intake gasket, spacer, then another gasket. i have an air leak. I'm going to cut new gasket's but wanted to know if it's safer use a sealer along with them, and if so what type of sealer would be safe to use?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
I know on my old outboards I just use grease....Sealer would make it tougher to remove the carbs, but I don't see why it would hurt.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never tried grease. are talking about bearing grease? Thank's

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i went and cut new gaskets for it, went to put it back together and found that the boot has a small rip in it. Good thing i doubled checked it, can't believe i missed it. Now i have to wait until tax time to fix these sleds. bought a house at the end of last year cleaned me out. oh well. thank's anyway steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
well i went and cut new gaskets for it, went to put it back together and found that the boot has a small rip in it. Good thing i doubled checked it, can't believe i missed it. Now i have to wait until tax time to fix these sleds. bought a house at the end of last year cleaned me out. oh well. thank's anyway steve
You know there is so much that a guy could do if he had a little money to keep for himself. All a guy does now a days is make money for someone else.:mad:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it would be nice to keep a little to keep the toy's going. I'm still beating the doo around the yard with a bad axle bearing no sense fixing it till spring got a new chassis, and sc10 2 to put in it. chassis is bent keep's blowing axle bearing. not much fun this year kind of dissapointing but what are you going to do but pay the bill's.

·
ASE cert. Master Mechanic
54 Posts
rtv is not gas resistant... when rtv is exposed to gas it turns to a rubbery sludge chunk snot. if you want them to seal use 3M Gas and Oil Resistant sealer.

if you wana fix that torn boot to last a while buy a jar of liquid tape. not the spray on.
stuff works amazingly once dried it stretches like silicone gloves and has more tensil strength than electrical tape. and it self vulcanizes to rubber becoming part of the rubber you apply it to. ive used it on tons of on the spot leaks and so on while im out and about.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update on the cat. Well i have the boot fixed it's holding up for now used a epoxy on it. the gaskets are holding up now also. One air leak fixed, so went and sprayed crank seal's because clutch side was still running lean, seal is bad!!! Back to the waiting game. But it's definitly worth the wait when thier going. Still running the doo around Plenty of snow with more on the way next week.
Going to be ordering the carb conversion kit for 140. from psep.biz./store/mikuni comes with vm34 carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, and the (new) angled carb boot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts