Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I got a newbie question here, I just bought a 1992 Polaris Indy 500, and on the hood, It says, there is no need to pre-mix the gas/oil. However I faintly recall the person who we bought it from explaining to us that we did need to pre-mix it because they did something to it. Since I am new to snowmachines, is there a way I can tell? I don't have a way to get ahold of the seller, so that option is a nogo. I was told that they could have removed "the oiler" is this correct? And if so, how do I tell, what does it look like? THanks,
Jared
PS, Can I ruin the engine, etc. if I put premixed gasoline into the sled when it isnt neccessary?

·
Registered
466 Posts
The previous owner may have unhooked the oiler because in case the oiler injector stopped working for some reason while riding, they would have no oil going into the engine. So, when you unhook the injector, you have to premix the fuel. Pre-mixing the fuel is a safe way to run the engine but you will not be running up to par because your running 40:1 all the time. Idle and wide open. The oil injector puts in however much oil to mix correctly with the gas. Depends on how high the engines reving. Make sense?

The injector is a far better system and will rarely fail...butt if u want to be on the safe side and dont mind running up to snuff all the time, mix the gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The oiler is hooked up to the throttle cable coming from the throttle lever on the handlebars. Look for the cable where it goes into the engine compartment near the airbox there is a splitter where the single cable splits into 3 cables. 1 goes to each carburator and 1 goes to the oiler. If the oiler is disconnected you will have to run the pre-mix unless you get it hooked back up. If it is still hooked up you can fill the reservoir and purge the oil lines. If all this is OK I still recommend using the pre-mix for a short time so you can monitor and make sure the oiler is pumping oil to the engine. Too much oil will cause carbon build up and can foul spark plugs, but no oil will fry the engine. It is a lot cheaper to replace a couple of plugs then to rebuild an engine. After you verify that the oiler is working (the oil level in the resevoir will go down) then you can stop the pre-mix. Also make sure that the oiler is set correctly. On the face of the arm on the oiler there is a mark that should be lined up with a mark on the oiler body. These marks should be set with the throttle in the idle position. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts