Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 zr 580 aka pile of junk. well any ways im only getting like 40 miles a tank should i run dif plugs then br9eya? or is there a dif problem

·
Registered
96 Posts
plugs have nothing to do with it. If your fouling plugs alot try leaning it out a bit. Go small on your main jet.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Hmmm. Well changing plugs certainly isn't a bad idea. I would recommend you do it. You may get a better burn from the sled, and thus there is a possibility to get better milage.

With an EFI sled though (like mine) there really isn't much you can do with the milage. My 500 EFI (1999) runs about 70 - 90 miles on 10 gallons of gas depending on how I ride it that given day. 40 miles however is really NOT good at all. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas how to correct it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Make sure your skis are properly aligned. And yes it does make a big difference when they are out of wack on alignment.

Second, check your track deflection, make sure it isn't too tight.

Third, check your track alignment.

Fourth, change your spark plugs.

Fifth, buy some injector cleaner from AC to dump into your tank. Will clean all the gunk out of your fuel system.

Sixth, make sure there are no restrictions in your air intake system. Clean out as necessary.

Seventh, check your fuel filter, if restricted, replace.

Eighth, check chain tension in chaincase. Make sure isn't too tight.

These things are not hard to do. I'm sure you can find methods online if needbe. Should be able to get the injector cleaner, spark plugs, and a new fuel filter for under $20.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I mean like any upgrades because the gas mileage I'm getting is normal. I'm getting about 70 miles to 13 gallons which is about right I just want to know if there is anything that will bump it up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think so.

I had a 98 ZL 500 carb that was an absolute pig on fuel. Getting 8-9 mpg. My F6 EFI can get 12-14 mpg easy!

·
Banned
114 Posts
My ZR800efi gets 10-12mpg. I ride about 50-75 mph on average. The only time milage is less than 10 mpg is when I'm breaking trail in 1.5-2 feet of powder. Have you asked your dealer about the mileage problem?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm getting about 70 miles to 13 gallons which is about right
thats hard to believe:eek:

Guys, listen to ditchpickle.Its common sense and good advice.Easy to do, won't cost alot , and by the sounds of things, certainly can't make your mileage any worse;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
get a bombardier

·
Registered
52 Posts
computers=problems

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
01MXZ500f said:
computers=problems
Well lets see, I sold my Zr 500 this week on Ebay... and after 5,000 miles that engine didn't see a single hiccup. I stand 100% behind Cats EFI sleds. In fact... I'm going to pick up my new sled tomorrow. A Mountain Cat 600 EFI... got to have EFI. Without it your always fooling with jets etc depending on the day. EFI sleds just start up and run perfect all day long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
they had an efi on a 97? wow i learn something new everyday...have u found the problem yet?
:confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, stick around, 'lil doo-doo,,,,,you can learn plenty from a Cat man..................

"Buy a DOO and bust your arm trying to start it!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
WHOA!!! cobra, is that a hummer in your avatar??? also, congradulations on your new sled!!!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
havent busted my arm startin the Rev... oh well, guess the Cat riders are too beat up from their sleds to start it.

if you want to sacrifice lots of power, i got a 380 that im probably goin to sell, and you cant run those out of gas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts