Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 89 indy 650. I took it out for the first snow. I only ran it for about 45 mins. It ran great until I parked it, It just died. The next day there was a big puddle of gas under the sled. Its leaking out of the crankshaft seal. Please help!
:dunno:

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
it still shouldn't be coming out of there. you may need to replace it. not a fun job.

·
Repair Shop Owner
528 Posts
Yep if you are getting gas out of the crank seal then it is bad and will suck air in after you drain the block. If you don't change it it will run lean and durn down a piston!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I find it hard to believe that it didn't run really wild while it was running if it's leaking out the crankcase seal. It more likely leaked out of the exhaust, and it appeared under the seal. I'd bet you either have a needle leaking by on a carb or your fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it. Pull the drains under your exhaust, or pop your exhaust off. I'll bet your engine has a bunch of gas left in it.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yup JD is right your float or fuel pump is what is causing it. but make sure if it is coming out the crank bearing or not. if it is change it or you will be redoing your hole motor. you will still have to pull the bottom half apart to change it but is better than the hole thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really think it is leaking from the seal because when you turn the clutch more gas leaks out of there. I will pull the clutch to make sure the seal is leaking. the xtra 10 suspension works great on front and rear my ski stance is now 42". well i will pull my carbs and clean them and check my fuel pump. I really dont want tear my engine down but i will have to if the seal is leaking. Thanks for the info!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yeah do not run it like that. you will blow it all the way if you do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I drained the gas out of the crankcase, all three had fuel in them. It refired first pull, ran for 5 minutes and died again. Drained the crankcase again. Can I spray carbon choke cleaner by the crank shaft seal to see if it's sucking air?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah, that's how you check it. While it's running spray carb cleaner on the clutch end seal. If rpm's increase a bunch, it's a bad seal. I'll be your exhaust is full of gas as well; that's why it won't run very long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright the seal is not leaking I sprayed carb cleaner by the seal and nothing happened!!
But now the rpms don't come back down quick after you give it a little gas. I still need to pull the carbs off and clean them.Thanks for the help so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts