Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are calling for snow over the weekend, so i'm trying to get my sled ready to go. It was sitting outside for 6+ years before I got it. I had it running pretty good, so I thought I would take it for a test drive. I got about 100 feet down the driveway and it stalled and would not restart. It was not getting fuel to the carb. I opened up the fuel pump and it was plugged with pine needles. When I first got it I dumped the old gas out and put fresh gas in the tank, shook it, and dumped it out a few times until it started coming out clean. Apparently there was still dirt in the tank which must have loosened up since then. How do you guys recommend that I clean this out?

·
Super Moderator
17,087 Posts
If you can easily get the tank off (sounds like you have it off) then it should be a pretty easy job to get some hot soapy water in there and slosh it around to clean it. Then dump that, add clear water a few times until the soap is gone. If there's a bit of moisture in the tank, adding some Isoheat to the first tank should take care of it.

The pine needles in the fuel pump would concern me. Usually, inside a fuel thank there's a weighted filter to keep the end of the intake hose in the gas. That filter should have trapped any large items like pine needles. I would plan on replacing all the fuel lines to make sure that isn't part of the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can easily get the tank off (sounds like you have it off) then it should be a pretty easy job to get some hot soapy water in there and slosh it around to clean it. Then dump that, add clear water a few times until the soap is gone. If there's a bit of moisture in the tank, adding some Isoheat to the first tank should take care of it.

The pine needles in the fuel pump would concern me. Usually, inside a fuel thank there's a weighted filter to keep the end of the intake hose in the gas. That filter should have trapped any large items like pine needles. I would plan on replacing all the fuel lines to make sure that isn't part of the problem.
Thanks. Tank is off, I’ll try that tomorrow. I’ll have to check if there is a filter in there. I do have new fuel lines and a pump.
I use an electric fuel pump to suck it all out
Good idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a better flashlight and looked inside and it is actually really clean. Just a little bit of dirt, not like I thought at first. I don‘t think it needs to be rinsed, I’m just going to dump the gas that’s in there now through a paint strainer, then put it back in. There is a filter in there. I sprayed some carb cleaner through it for now, but I will get a new one next week. I’m not sure where the pine needles came from though. :unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts