Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 Ski Doo Citation 4500 (377 Rotax) that I am trying to get running for my kids to ride. It had sat for about 5 years without any attempt to start it. It has strong spark and fresh fuel. I have installed a new fuel pump and a new carburetor as well as a new primer. It starts on the first or second pull. The problem is that after it has run for 10 minutes (or less) I need to use the primer to keep it running. The fuel pick-up is fine in the tank and the lines seem clear. There is some air in the gas line, but when the engine is rev'd fuel is pumped to the carb. The new carb is jetted a little richer than the original carb. Any ideas? The kids are driving me nuts and I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance!

Robert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, but the carb is new and the floats and needle appear to be working well. I am going to replace the suction line from the engine to the fuel pump to insure it is not collapsing and I am going to replace all the fuel lines to make sure I am not sucking air somewhere. I am now in a remove and replace troubleshooting mode as I am stumped. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
The easiest way to tell if your fuel pump is working is to pull the line off the carb and pull the ripcord a few times. Fuel should flow, if not you know where your problem is. I doubt it's the fuel pump though if the motor runs for almost 10 minutes. It might be vacuum locked. You may have a problem with the tank vent. Try running it with the gas cap off and see if it still stalls. If it runs fine, find the tank vent (it may be part of the cap) and see if it is obstructed or pinched. Also, make sure your new carb is jetted to the right spec's. You may need to adjust the air-jet. Turn it in a 1/4 or more and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
if it has sat for awhile check the exhaust for a mouse nest. it might be breathing in ok but can't exhale. common problem with sleds that have sat for awhile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts