Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some assistance.

First off I was going through a few things on my 85 Yamaha XLV and decided to pull apart the fuel pump and found I have a ripped mesh diaphram, not sure what you call it really but its for sure ripped.

My sled only has one carb and I'm trying to figure out what rebuild kit I need to get. The pump has an in and out along with a pulse port

I was looking on Dennis Kirk and this one looks similar but I don't have the fuel pump at my place to take it all apart again to make sure. Does anyone out there know if this is what I need? Maybe someone can look up my model/year sled and find out somehow.

Heres the one I found on DK that looks like it "might" work.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_ca....afCatId=&mmyId=

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
The link you posted didn't work.

Yamaha OEM Parts, Motorcycle Parts, ATV, Snowmobile, Scooter

Here's a link to Yamaha's parts site, for your reference. I found the fuel filter in the Air Cleaner link. You may be able to order a repair kit for your pump. THe dealer may also be able to tell you if an after-market pump will work. Or when you get to your sled, get a pic of the pump and post it, the drawing at the Yamaha site isn't that great.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that link and how to find the fuel pump Dan. Much appreciated. Now I know the number on it. Yes that is what mine looks like. It is 2.5 inches. Looks like the above link is the correct fuel pump repair kit.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
When you get the kit (local shops may have one for that pump in stock) make sure you scribe a line across the edge of the pump so when you put it back together again, it's in the proper orientation. Some pumps have aligning marks, some didn't. The first one I took apart didn't, it took me several tries at assembly before I got the fittings to point where they needed to point.

Putting the small rubber valve holder through the valve flap can be a challenge, if you put the valve on a small socket a bit bigger than the hole, it will give you something behind the valve so the rubber valve holder inserts a lot easier.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dan, yeah we have scribe marks.

I went to a local parts store today and they didn't have a kit for me however I found a diaphragm that looked identical to the one that was cracked. It had SnoJet on the package and it was original. I bought it and it fit in place fine.

My next question. Is it ok that I just replaced the ripped diaphragm and not everything else? I intend to put this all together tonight and hopefully be on the snow soon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan,

I got everything put back together tonight after work, cranked it over and was delighted to see fuel being pushed through the line to the fuel pump. Took about 10-12 pulls but it fired up.

My next question maybe you can help with is this. We replaced the line going into the oil pump and I noticed there is an air bubble in there. Will it work itself out or is there going to be a problem here?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
I saw your post in another thread, but will answer here too. If the bubble is before the pump, you should bleed the air from the pump. If it's after the pump, it will work it's way out, but the engine won't be getting any oil for the duration of the bubble. Small bubbles are ok, bigger ones are to be concerned with. If you can, activate the oil pump so that it's wide open as the engine idles. That will force the air out quicker. You may also want to add some oil to the gas on your first ride, just as a precaution. Fill the oil tank completely full, ride for a while, make sure the oil level has gone down some as you ride. If it does go down, the oil in the tank is extra, and you may foul the plugs because of too much oil. If it doesn't go down, the oil in the tank will keep you safe from lack of lubrication until you can figure out what the problem is with the pump.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bubble is before the pump yes. Next time I let it idle I'll pull the cable on the carb that controls it to open it up. The bubble was quite large but we took the hose directly off the pump and was able to get most of it out. Perhaps we'll do that again if necessary.

I like your idea of running some oil in the gas too, I'd hate to wreck havoc on the pistons if I can prevent it.

Thanks a ton for the advice.

·
Registered
1999 Ski Doo Grand Touring 500, 1996 Polaris Indy Trail
221 Posts
Mosabi,
Do you happen to know the part number to the fuel pump kit you bought? The reason i ask is because the one in your link is listed as dual outlet. Just curious as i too have a 1985 Yamaha XL-V that has no fuel. I cleaned the carb saturday and it ran better, then died on me. I suspect the fuel pump is the problem. Now its time to rebuild it along with replacing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zilla
You will have a 2.5 inch round mikuni pump. This is the kit I was going to buy for it but I found the brown diaphramn I needed locally so I never got the whole kit.
Winderosa Fuel Pump Repair Kit/Round Type Mikuni Carb Pumps - DennisKirk.com

It was pretty simple to take apart if your wondering. Make scribe marks to make sure the plates go back together correctly. Hope this resolves your fuel issue. Also check to make sure there are no issues with the pulse line. I'd love to see pics of your 85 xlv if you got them.

·
Registered
1999 Ski Doo Grand Touring 500, 1996 Polaris Indy Trail
221 Posts
I tried to find the pix of when i first bought it on my work computer, but couldnt locate them. I'll get some pics this weekend as i have already started ordering my parts :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts