Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Polaris 600xcsp, This sled has two key positions to advance the timing for higher octane ratings of gas. My question is, Am I taking any major risks by using 110 octane fairly often? I'm generally only running this when racing.

Thanks in advance,
JimmyV

·
Registered
711 Posts
JimmyV said:
I have a 2003 Polaris 600xcsp, This sled has two key positions to advance the timing for higher octane ratings of gas. My question is, Am I taking any major risks by using 110 octane fairly often? I'm generally only running this when racing.

Thanks in advance,
JimmyV
Hmmmm, higher octain genrally runs cooler. As in the actual temp of the engines exhaust. not liquid. I think your best option is to mix 110 with say 91 maybe half and half Also, i have a exhaust temp guage, yes it is $250 but i really like having it, especially for the mountains. Added weight? maybe 1/2 pound just some thoughts. I think you may be ok, but call a dealer for the best info or a fellow racer :)

dano

·
two-stroke-smoke
129 Posts
I'd kinda like to know the opposite. I've been mostly running premium gas in my Formula. Is it really all that necessary for performance? Could I use Regular 87 with maybe octane boost? Or call it good with Super Unleaded? I've heard that more octane than needed does actually no good at all... What do you run in your trail sleds?

Thank 4 any info. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a manual for your sled it should tell you a minimum octane rating for your sled. I personally would not waste money on racing fuel for trail riding, But when I'm out racing on the lake the 110 makes a huge difference (partially due to the ignition on my 03 polaris xc which allowes me to advance the timing for higher octane fuel.). With straight 110 in my 600 I was leaving 800's and 900's in the dust litterally every race. Getting a lot of dirty looks from other racers. Ha Ha! Can't wait till this year on the lake, I've added about 15 horse and will be adjusting the rear suspension for max traction. Maybe this year I'll beat that "one" sled I couldn't easily beat last year. You know, the one with the nitrous kit. Ha Ha!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use 91 octane at all costs in my rmk 700. I have used 87 on ocasion when i had no choice and my sled dogs like crazy. I wouldnt even use 87 for trails, heck i dont use it in my cars either. 91 octane, no ethanol ( we have the corn gas crap in minnestoa) Now i am gonna try 110 just once, after some adive just in case it is bad for my engine, but i do have that exhaust temp guage, hmmmm.

dano

·
Registered
20 Posts
In Sweden you cant buy fuel with such low octane.
In a gasstation you can only choose between 95,96 and 98 octane. Why isnt it like that in the USA? After all you are one of the oil producers.. but still you use 87 and 91 octane. Don't your engines run hot?
I drive motocross, and for that engine I would never even think about using 95 octane (greater chance for breakdown), 98 is the only option, so how does your engines survive such "bad" fuel.

·
Registered
711 Posts
ah my friend, bad fuel is in the eye of the beholder. Our engines last just fine with say 91 octane. However its the people who dont know how to keep an engine running that loose them, it has nothign to do with fuel. I wont use higher octane than that because for me, i think more isnt always better, i agree that 87 is crap, but any more than 91 for general purpose is excessive. This is a country where fuel isnt 1 us dollar per liter ( about $4 per gallon) our emmision standards, with exceptions, are lower. Our car engines last just as long unless an unknowing person doesnt take care of it. same with small engines, if only the issue of "bad" fuel was the case. This isnt an issue of why is my country better than yours or anything, please dont make it sound like it

dano

·
Registered
20 Posts
dano said:
ah my friend, bad fuel is in the eye of the beholder. Our engines last just fine with say 91 octane. However its the people who dont know how to keep an engine running that loose them, it has nothign to do with fuel. I wont use higher octane than that because for me, i think more isnt always better, i agree that 87 is crap, but any more than 91 for general purpose is excessive. This is a country where fuel isnt 1 us dollar per liter ( about $4 per gallon) our emmision standards, with exceptions, are lower. Our car engines last just as long unless an unknowing person doesnt take care of it. same with small engines, if only the issue of "bad" fuel was the case. This isnt an issue of why is my country better than yours or anything, please dont make it sound like it

dano
I never meant that your engines wouldn't last as long.. "break down" maybe was the wrong word, what I meant was that the metall gets "bigger" the hotter it gets and if the engine runs to hot, the piston will stuck in the cylinder.
And what I said that I rather use 98 instead of 95 octane in my motocross is because the fact that 98 octance keeps the engine cooler then 95. So the motocrossers in America, do they use 91 or special race fuel?

What makes it better with a higher octane is that combustion increases (and so does the efficency and power in your engine). Which makes the discharge of CO and ozon lover.

Have I ever said anything like Europe are better then America?

So when you run a dyno test in Sweden and one in the USA they wouldn't be comparable since we uses different fuels. Shouldn't there be a standard for this kind of tests?

·
Registered
711 Posts
[/B][/QUOTE] What makes it better with a higher octane is that combustion increases (and so does the efficency and power in your engine). Which makes the discharge of CO and ozon lover.

Have I ever said anything like Europe are better then America?

So when you run a dyno test in Sweden and one in the USA they wouldn't be comparable since we uses different fuels. Shouldn't there be a standard for this kind of tests? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, as a small engine warms up, the piston gets hotter faster and thus the increased risk of engine failure. On my temp guage on my rmk i can note a small difference of the actual temp of the exhaust gases. Valid argument on the carbon dioxide release (not CO but CO2) However, when one considders that snowmobiles ( the two strokes) are about 90%-95%, or somewhere around there, inneficiant, i am not to worried. Most of the dark blue smoke and someitmes black smoke is unburned fuel. I am not sure if there is any differance in europe. 87 octane in aluminum engines is bad, 91 is better 87 in steel engines, no biggie ( cars) I have run 87 before in my sled, i dont like it, but 91 is all i need, however i think i would like to try some 98 or 110

I think we got off on the rong foot.

lets try this agian, i am dano a.k.a dan I live in upper minnesota and ride a 99 rmk 700 with a 141x2 ( so i didnt have to extend the tunnle) I dislike trail riding to a great degree, i prefer to make my own trails I am not a fan of short tracks or fan cooled engines, i like the speed, but i am more in it for the torque. i would rather go only say 90 or less, but be able to do that in powder or up a hill. in the action shots part of this forum under a post called wyoming pics from Cobra, in there is me on my rmk out in wyoming in the rockey mountains.

you?

dano

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I'm Bjorn, I live in the middle of Sweden. Right now I don't have a snowmobile, but I'm looking for a new one. I like trail riding and "surfing" in the powder. In Sweden there are no place like the one you and Cobra where at in Wyoming, but if there where I might buy myself a climber instead of a short track. I havn't been jumping that much, but hopefully with my new sled (Maybe a Lynx Enduro or Rave or a Skidoo MXZ) I will try to overcome the gravity.

I prefer watercooled, twin cylinder engines and a track with at least 32mm pads. I like speed but acceleration (and torque) is more important.
This winter me and my friends will go to the mountains a couple of times and hopefully we will bring a camera so I can show you the winter in Sweden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts