Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new to the forum. I have a 2001 Polaris xc800 with Mikuni flat slide carbs. I don’t know a lot about carburetors. There is about a 4 inch piece of fuel line coming out of the bottom of each one of the carbs, and it is just plugged off at the end. What is the purpose of these? Are they to drain the bowl? One of the lines is cracked and leaking fuel. Should I just replace the fuel line and call it good? Or does the fact that fuel drips out when the engine isn’t running indicate there may be something stuck open inside the carb? Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is actually a water trap. Instead of water sitting in the bottom of the float bowl, it goes into the hose. But, it makes a good bowl drain also! As Coolhand said, replace the line and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah that to, forgot to add that! I've used it to drain gas as well before so I went off the top of my head which isn't always thinking right especially when in pain,lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Water and sediment trap. Remove them and replace them at the beginning of every season. Basic fuel hose, nothing special about the hose nor the length. when servicing the carbs, do not turn carbs upside down with these on. Keep the carbs upright and remove the hoses first so crap and sludge that they have trapped does not contaminate the carb.

No, it is not supposed to leak. You have a major fire hazard brewing under there that may turn into a rather spectacular hot dog roaster. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those Are water traps, Those hoses get brittle and start to leak gas then the gas collects on the bottom of your snowmobile and the hot exhaust ignites the gas and poof! Very important to check those tubes every year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts