Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel in my F5 (ethanol) has been sitting for around 2+ months (maybe closer to 3) and my Yamaha has had premium non ethanol gas sitting in it for around 1 1/2 months.

is it too late for me to add stabil into it and let it sit until next season? Or should I find a way to drain them?

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I would definitely drain the ethanol fuel. That stuff can go bad in as little as a month. I have had good luck with non-ethanol fuel lasting a lot longer, you should be able to add some Stabil if you feel the need. I usually siphon and use the left-over fuel in my sleds in the lawn mower, chain saw, weed trimmer, generator, etc. over the summer. If I have a lot, I dump it in a vehicle. I try not to let fuel sit all summer to be used the next season. Fresh fuel first thing in the winter seems like a good thing to me.

I use 91 non-ethanol in the sleds and all small engines, it really seems to prevent fuel-related issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would definitely drain the ethanol fuel. That stuff can go bad in as little as a month. I have had good luck with non-ethanol fuel lasting a lot longer, you should be able to add some Stabil if you feel the need. I usually siphon and use the left-over fuel in my sleds in the lawn mower, chain saw, weed trimmer, generator, etc. over the summer. If I have a lot, I dump it in a vehicle. I try not to let fuel sit all summer to be used the next season. Fresh fuel first thing in the winter seems like a good thing to me.

I use 91 non-ethanol in the sleds and all small engines, it really seems to prevent fuel-related issues.
Yeah my Yamaha has a totally full tank of premium from my Colorado trip. I’m not sure what the Arctic Cat has probably under a half but that’s been sitting the longest with the non premium ethanol

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
I buy premium as the last fill of the sled and then during the summer when i need to buy gas but haven't, i drain it from the sled tank and use it in my mowers. I use about 2.5 gals for each mow so it doesn't last long anyway. And then if any is left in the fall at sled start up time I drain the rest and put it in the wife's car ! She doesn't know any different ! Just that it's "free" gas to her.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The fuel in my F5 (ethanol) has been sitting for around 2+ months (maybe closer to 3) and my Yamaha has had premium non ethanol gas sitting in it for around 1 1/2 months.

is it too late for me to add stabil into it and let it sit until next season? Or should I find a way to drain them?
Not sure what you're asking. Are you wondering if you can leave the already three month old, untreated gas in your sled until November and not clean the carbs before use? Probably not. You should always treat the gas when it's fresh.

I'd completely drain the system dry if you can assuming the gas tank is plastic. If it's steel then you could argue you should keep it filled.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Even steel containers don't do well with alcohol infested gas. It used to be you could count on a sealed steel jerry can to be able to keep gas fresh at least 6 months, if not a year. Not these days! Keeping the tank full used to help eliminate the space above the fuel in the tank and minimize moisture condensing. Now... it's the gas itself that is junk after 3 months. Sigh. I miss those days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would just add Startron Enzymes, fire them up, get it into the system. If you have a fuel shut off, shut the fuel off till they shut off, your done. I highly dought you will have an issue in just 3 months.

·
John from Washington
74 Posts
My end-of-season gas fill is with non-ethanol and Sea Foam. 3 months later, they start with 1-2 pulls.

Gas going bad is real problem, I've seen with jetskis and cars. My MG had some ethanol gas left over from the fall and took her a bit longer to start. Fortunately the fuel was low and I filled up on fresh fuel and that ole gal started quickly. Literally an hour ago, I pumped the gas out of power washer that I had not used in over a a year. Put in non-ethanol, and stated with 3 pulls.

My experience, if the gas is brown, it probably went bad. I use a $6 transfer pump from Harbor Freight to remove old gas...I'd appreciate a recommendation on another tool

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I think it's KCCats that uses a fuel pump from a car to do his transfers. I use a siphon hose, it's been good enough for me.

I like the idea of using an automotive fuel pump, as they are intrinsically safe for gasoline, where a lot of the less expensive electric pumps are good for diesel only. Check the pump label/directions to make sure before you buy...

·
John from Washington
74 Posts
Thank you. KKATS, if using an automotive fuel pump to transfer gasoline, can you please share your technique?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Cracks me up people think when they put it in there cars it is right from the refineries. It is 4-6 months old already at that point.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
I have a high out put electric fuel pump, 5' of hose on out let and bout 8' on inlet!
Has a pair of clip on battery clamps!
Been working 20 years+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts