Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a pretty good jump over a snowbank today and noticed that my left front shock didn't come back up after. I was able to manage to pull it back up and it stayed up, but seems a bit week and if I hit a big bump it gets stuck down again. Does anyone have any sugestions as to what the problem might be? I am hoping it is just the spring or frozen up in there and not the shock itself. Are these shocks repairable or do I have to replace it, and if so are there any aftermarket ones available? My sled is a 94 vmax le also.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
you can check to make sure scissors arent sticking or binding. pull one of the bolts holding either the top or bottom on and check its range of motion.

also, look for signs of oil leakage on the shock shaft itself. this will be a tell tail sign.

i want to say those were nitrogen filled along with the oil, but dont recall any places doing rebuilds. i have never seen any aftermarket replacements.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the front shock is basically a strut. the spring is on the outside of the shock, inside the canister, hence the physical size of the canister. there are lots of other goodies inside that can as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what it looks like from the diagrams I was able to find online. A strut type shock with a big spring around the outside on top and all kinds of seals and bushings and stuff like that inside the tube itself. I am really hoping its all just froze up in there and that I can just get it all out and dried up. A new shock for this is around $225 so I am hoping thats not gone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So...do people rebuild these things?

If so, why isn't there a write up with photos? It's amazing to me coming from the car and motorcycle forums the lack of stored information. There should be a separate section with diy threads. If there is, I haven't seen it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.