Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 SRX 700 snapped just after the front right Cog (closest to crank case). Had to drive it 40 miles to get it back. What is involved replacing the front axle and what other potential damage have I done (right bearing, Crankcase, etc.)?

My shop mechanic tells me that I need to drop the suspension in order to successfully remove the old front axle. Is this at all true, or can I just loosen the track tension and remove the axle without removing anything else regarding the track? Any tricks in doing this?

·
Registered
794 Posts
You need to get that suspension out of your way its only 4 bolts and you can pull it out. I would change out both bearings and the chaincase seal no matter what since they are so hard to get to. is your speedo drive ok? may want to inspect to see if the shaft flexing did any damage. Other than that you will need to remove the exhaust and the battery if you have one and dissassemble the chaincase to get the old shaft out. There are two set screws on the left side bearing holding the bearing to the shaft be sure to remove them and remove the speedo drive/bearing holder and hopefully the shaft will slip right out. The chaincase is the most time consuming part especially if you have reverse as it adds a few more pieces but all in all its not a terribly hard job on that sled.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Speedo key and bearing by the speedo were just replaced as I thought that was the problem. Put them back in and still the same noise. Looked more carefully and noticed the axle was snapped in half. I am going to replace the other bearing, snap ring and seal while I am at it. Guess I need to bring it to a dealer to have the 4 COGS pressed back onto the shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts