Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 SRX 700 snapped just after the front right wheel (closest to crank case). Had to drive it 40 miles to get it back. What is involved replacing the front axle and what other potential damage have I done (right bearing, Crankcase, etc.)?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
chaincase, bearings in the chaincase, and pay attention to the chain and gears.

to remove the shaft, the track tension needs to be loosened, secondary clutch comes off as well as the chaincase. theres a few tricks involving the brake caliper assembly to save time.

behind the secondary is the speeedo/bearing housing cover. three nuts to remove. the shaft bearing on that side has 2 set screws. bearing should come out on that side.

your drivers will have to be pressed off your broken shaft and pressed on the replacement shaft.

when reinstalling, the chaincase side of the shaft needs to go in first, then the clutch side. pay attention to the gears and the collars behind the gears as there is a certain order to assembly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theres a few tricks involving the brake caliper assembly to save time.

Can you let me know some of the tricks? Is this an easy job? I have done top end rebuilds, carb rebuilds, starter replacements, etc. but not much with axles and gears.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
easy if you have done it a bunch, but nothing hard if your mechanically inclined. biggest time saving tip is to not mess with the brake caliper or parking brake but rather remove it as a whole.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chaincase, bearings in the chaincase, and pay attention to the chain and gears.

to remove the shaft, the track tension needs to be loosened, secondary clutch comes off as well as the chaincase. theres a few tricks involving the brake caliper assembly to save time.

behind the secondary is the speeedo/bearing housing cover. three nuts to remove. the shaft bearing on that side has 2 set screws. bearing should come out on that side.

your drivers will have to be pressed off your broken shaft and pressed on the replacement shaft.

when reinstalling, the chaincase side of the shaft needs to go in first, then the clutch side. pay attention to the gears and the collars behind the gears as there is a certain order to assembly.
My shop mechanic tells me that I need to drop the suspension in order to successfully remove the old front axle. Is this at all true, or can I just loosen the track tension and remove the axle without removing anything else regarding the track?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Removing the suspension will cut your time by a bunch. If you leave it in you will be fighting it for the space to remove the drive shaft. IMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts