Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
There was just another thread about this a couple of weeks ago, with a link to another forum! They were talking about makeing sleds out of 1/4" plastic, they had plans and dimentions and all!

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
You can pull one with anything. You are just limited on how much stuff/weight you can put on it.

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
Jorel77 That sled looked nice but to be honest you really dont need somthing that fancy. Those big yellow boggans are bigger and probably cheaper. Some people can make some really nice sleds. The best ones are aluminum welded or made with that 1/4 inch plastic. I'll look for a link to show you those boggans. When you go to nome are you driving or flying? Where are you moving from. If you drive I would suggest getting to fairbanks or anchorage and buying your supplies there. Alaska is very cheap, well atleast comparede to canada.

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Irnnorth,

You seem to always be the "go to guy" on this forum. I think you found my sled.

Thanks much,

Hugh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Irnorth,
We will drive up the Alcan highway (because we want to see it) to Anchorage. From there, ship our pickup truck full of stuff to Nome. I will bring some household stiff from here in Montana, and buy all of my basic supplies in Anchorage, put the truck on a barge and then fly to Nome. Once I get to Nome, I will get a snowmachine and sled there, based on your former advice. I will look for a used 2 stroke first, and then buy a new one if I have to. The 540 Yamaha is at the top of the list (based on your advise) and then other 2 strokes round out the list. 540's seem to be a Canadian item. I have never seen one for sale in the states. I've lived most of my life in So. California and S. Florida. However, I took a trip to Nome a few weeks ago and enjoyed the -15 temps, seemed like a cakewalk for me. It is just not that cold if one wears clothes. My wife has a job, and I have a job. Feels good. I'm 58 and now feel 54, better than feeling 80. Thanks again for the thoughtful advise.

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
Glad i could be of help to you. Im not sure about the 540 being canadian only as i have never looked at buying a snowmobile outside of Canada. Sounds like a pretty typical arctic move for you, put your stuff on a barge and fly in. I didnt know if nome had roads to it or not. Being in a fly-in only town isnt that bad. As long as you enjoy liveing where you do. My town is about 600 people and is fly-in or boat-in only when there is no ice road. Getting used to the cold isnt hard as long as you wear layers. Some people get the idea that you have to wear big huge parkies just to go anywear and to be honest thats how you tell the people that arent from the north, it just isnt that bad. The cold here is very dry, so it feels very mild compared to humid climates. Im not sure what nome will be like for you cause it is on the coast. Probably windy at times but im sure you will love it. The arctic is a great place to live. Glad i could help you if you need anything else ill do my best but there are much smarter guys on here than me. I just have the experience of northern living.

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
I built that cutter this weekend. Well it's almost built as I still have a few details left to do. I figured it cost me $20.00 in metal that I didn't have laying around. The rest of it was stuff I had laying around. The frame is made from a bed frame. If you look at the rear I left the hooks in case I wanted to run a headboard.:laugh: I did it a little different then the link I put up. I used bumper so hood opens up, narrowed ski stance and goosenecked hitch. I don't think it came out to bad for a weekend of work. I probably could have done it in a day if I would have drawn up plans instead of designing on the fly. I built it a little heavier than I would have if I was using it only for cargo. But it might be packing my girlfriends grandson so I made it a little stouter just in case.......... I'll post more pics when the carpet, upholstery, windsheild and grab rail is in. I hooked it to my old Safari because I didn't want to pull the Summit off my trailer and the Safari was next to the garage awaiting track surgery.

Attachments

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
Judt needs a sound system. lol That looks like it would be fun to ride around in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Lowbudget,

Very spiffy. This is the kind of stuff I wish I could do, but can't. i'll just buy a new or used ready made rig. Please make provisions for a possible forward thrust of the kid's head into the body of this thing. Padding, helmet, etc. Thanks for the photos!

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
There's going to be a padded grab rail across the back of the hood and I'm stealing a seat belt out of a parts Dodge to put in it. As for the helmet that goes without saying. It was supposed to be todays project but weather guy is calling for 20% chance of snow with a high of 40 degrees.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The game haulers are the best I have 1 I pull the kids around on and it works well!I also have one of the dog sled type which I do not like to well way to heavy.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts