Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
What do you mean by towing? Like pulling a sled with another sled or pulling one on a trailer behind your truck?

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
The best thing i have seen was a sled that was about 18 inches wide and it curved up at the front. That way the track is off the ground but the skis still touch. If your going to go through powder nothings going to work. If you dont have a sled then just take the belt off the one your pulling and go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Irnnorth,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at Aklavik on google maps. Man you are up there. Is there a mine nearby? What are people doing to make a living?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Jorel77 said:
Irnnorth,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at Aklavik on google maps. Man you are up there. Is there a mine nearby? What are people doing to make a living?
That's where we put the insane people....:laugh:

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Towing a dead snowmobile has been debated here! The easyist way I do it is with the belt off, a rope from one ski loop through the towing bumper and back to the other ski loop! Then have someone else ride that driver 2up! Or I just use my trusty work horse Pantera to do both!
Now if you are talking about towing a gear sled/tobogen thats different. Get a sled with lotsa traction (wide track, deep lug)! Geared low!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kccats,

Thanks for the input. I'm talking about towing a sled full of gear. I should have made that more clear.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I have pulled my Cat Cutter with my Pantera and it pulls it alot easier than a dead sled! Horse power might not be as important as traction, I would recomend a Bear Cat with the 4 stroke! Lotsa torque and great fuel milage!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want to pull a snowmobile with another snowmobile, I want to pull sled or sleigh or toboggan, a thing that has no motor, a flat thing with sides and possibly has runners on the bottom. In the old Norman Rockwell paintings, sometimes a kid would be walking in the snow and pulling a sled behind him (with a rope attached) that was made out of wooden slats with steel runners. This is a sled.

The things we ride, the things with motors are snowmobiles. This is why it is called "Snowmobile Forum," as opposed to, "Sled Forum." I want to pull a sled with a snowmobile. Like pulling a trailer with a truck, but no wheels are involved.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and what their experiences are as far as what brand of sled, deep snow, trail, etc?

·
Alaskan Member
836 Posts
I've pulled 4 windows, 2 doors, 24 2x6's, the base of an outhouse, a small generator, a chainsaw, 35 gallons of gas, food beer and drinks for a weekend (4 people), and some tools 30 miles behind a 1993 Polaris XLT 580 SKS on trails that included hills the groomer wouldn't go up. Worked great. Smoked one belt due to a really bumpy part of the trail where we had to go about 5-8 MPH to keep from breaking the windows. All this was done on an Aikio sled (taboggan). For normal weekend loads, I use a smaller ski sled with suspension that is longer travel than a lot of snowmachines... I can tow eggs at 65 down a bumpy trail.

We did this type of towing many times during the building of the cabin. Heck, my 91 5000 pulled a few loads in too, not quite as heavy though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jorel77 said:
I don't want to pull a snowmobile with another snowmobile, I want to pull sled or sleigh or toboggan, a thing that has no motor, a flat thing with sides and possibly has runners on the bottom. In the old Norman Rockwell paintings, sometimes a kid would be walking in the snow and pulling a sled behind him (with a rope attached) that was made out of wooden slats with steel runners. This is a sled.

The things we ride, the things with motors are snowmobiles. This is why it is called "Snowmobile Forum," as opposed to, "Sled Forum." I want to pull a sled with a snowmobile. Like pulling a trailer with a truck, but no wheels are involved.
http://www.snowmobileforum.com/general-sled-chat/27403-snowsled-vs-snowmobile.html

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
Jorel77 said:
Irnnorth,

No mines around here. They are around Yellowknife. People get whatever jobs are available which is mostly working for the government or hamlet and also getting contracts to take care of the roads and water delivery and stuff like that. Most everyone lives off the land but some more than others.

To answer your question about the sled, the best thing i have found is to buy one. We have made our own out of wood and aluminum but they dont hold up as well and are smaller. Everyone around here uses the yellow fibreglass ones. The make them in different sizes. They are kind of pricey though. Here they run from $700-$900 but down south im sure they're half that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts