Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear shock is blown on my 2001 Polaris Edge XC SP. Does anyone know if I can rebuild it or do I need to buy a whole new shock? I have Fox shocks in my X-10 skid. I don't know if one or both of the rear shocks are blown.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news. Did either of you guys get some kind of gaurantee? What kind of money did you spend? Were both the ft. track shock and the rear shock blown?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, Fox Shocks are rebuildible. Depending on where you are located there are several good rebuilders out there. I rebuild shocks and am located in SE lower Michigan. I charge $48.00 for a complete rebuild. Clark Performance 586-899-6060

·
Registered
323 Posts
MIMechanic said:
Yes, Fox Shocks are rebuildible. Depending on where you are located there are several good rebuilders out there. I rebuild shocks and am located in SE lower Michigan. I charge $48.00 for a complete rebuild. Clark Performance 586-899-6060
Whats the turn around time on the rebuild of two Fox shocks? And where are you at in Roseville?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. That's a good price- my local shop charges $100 per shock. I called them after I posted this thread. Now I've got a question I'm sure you can't answer without the shock in front of you, but here goes. My local shop said that if the shaft is pitted, it will need to be replaced. Makes sense. I took the shock out last night and thought it looked perfect. Then, on further inspection I found a tiny- I mean tiny pit. I'd be surprised if you could fit the point of a needle in it. You really can't even see it, but you can feel it. Does it sound like this is a problem? I am nervous that if you can feel it, it will cause a problem with the seal. How much do you charge for new shafts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and also, if the rear track shock is blown, is it safe to assume the front track shock is also toast? Is there any way to check it before I tear the whole skid apart?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't give you a for sure without seeing it but depending on where on the shaft the pitting is. Sometimes the spots on the shaft can be stoned and polished. I have had fair luck with this in the past. You can useually get another season or two depending on the pitting. The rear track shock takes alot of abuse. you can check them yourself by removing the spring ( if the shock your checking has one) place it on the ground or a bench and compress it. Listen carefully and if you hear a swoching sound like air mixed in water ( that's the best i can desribe it) the IFP seal most likely blown. Which allows nitrogen to mix with the oil. and yes if one is bad most likely the other is or is on it's way.

·
Registered
323 Posts
MIMechanic said:
:D Turnaround time is typically 1 to 2 days. But if special needs arise next day service is also available. 10 mile and Gratriot
Thanks, My buddy will be calling soon for two front shock rebuilds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts