Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mopar crazy
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a four wheeler and am curious what you guys would recommend. I'm not looking for brand new, my budget is less than $2000. I'm looking for something that's going to be reliable that I can just ride whenever and will be a great machine to hunt with. I definitely don't want anything huge. Probably like a 400 is probably as big as I want to go.My dad has a 97 Yamaha Big Bear 350. He's never had any issues with it. We've used it for hunting a lot. It does great no matter what you put it through. I looked at a Polaris Xplorer 400. The one guy I talked to said they don't go very fast but they get to top speed quick. He also said they're very reliable and extremely tough. I don't have much experience with any other four wheelers. I've ridden some that were 650 and bigger but that's it. If you guys have any recommendations or any ones to stay away from please let me know, I'd appreciate your input.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Any of the sub 500cc size would do for what you want.
Just keep in mind that at that price you will find a lot of beaters that will require a lot of work to even make safe to operate.
But, is you are careful and patient you can find one in that price range.
If you raise your limit another $500 you are more likely to find a decent one.

·
Mopar crazy
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any make or model that I should stay away from? Or ones that, if I'm interested in, I should look for certain things.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Just look them over closely.
Always look at the weld joints for signs of cracks/rust or any suspicious looking welds.

Basically look it over the same as you would a sled.

·
Mopar crazy
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats anybody know about Kawasaki's 360 four wheeler or any of the Can-Am's? I've found a few of those for sale. I've ridden a 650 Kawasaki and I believe the other one was a 750. Both were good machines, just too big for me. I don't know anything about Can-Am's, never been on one.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
If you want reliability look at Honda ATVs. They last for years and are great work horses that won't leave you stranded in the bush. I like the reliability and sporty ride of Yamaha ATVs and we have two Grizzly 550s with EPS (power steering). We mostly trail ride through old fire access roads and utility corridors like electrical power lines and gas pipelines. These Yamahas are great for the odd muskeg swamp we have to cross as long as they aren't too deep.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
If you're still looking for an ATV, I'd recommend any Polaris Sportsman, a 400 or 500 1996 or newer would be perfect for your needs. As RJ stated, it will require patience to find a decent one in your price range, but it can be done. Be aware that high-mile units with worn rings may blow some blue smoke on start-up, and not in the way we sledders like :D That's one more thing to check.

On a personal note I've ridden a number of Polaris, Yamaha, Arctic Cat and Can-Am ATVs and UTVs, and Polaris never fails to impress. My current ride is a 2004 Predator 500.

·
Mopar crazy
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the only problem I have is I've only ridden a handle full of four wheelers and a couple different makes so I'm not sure what to expect from the other companies. Just judging by the sleds I've ridden, I've had the best luck with Polaris. The Arctic Cat I had caused me nothing but head aches. I rode an older Yamaha for a couple seasons and didn't have any serious issues with it. I don't know if the reliability of those companies sleds is the same with there other products or not.

·
Mopar crazy
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all of your guys' info and thoughts. I ended up getting a 98 Yamaha Big Bear 350. It's in pretty good condition, needs a little bit of misc. repairs and a couple things that I'd like to do differently, but for $1100 what more could I ask for. It runs very well, has a nice little winch on it, and almost new tires so it should be a good little machine. I know my dads is dang near indestructible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts