Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comparing my 97 XLT 600 Limited triple to a 2000 Skidoo MXZ 600 twin. The skidoo had a major done about 200 miles ago. guy has all the paperwork on it. One of the crank bearings failed causing the rebuild. Sled is in showroom condition. I can get it for 2 grand.

Comparisons to my Polaris? Ride, speed take off speed and durability?

·
Mach1 92' 617 & 94' 670
183 Posts
LOL MAN YOU MUST REALLY WANT TO CHANGE MACHINES!!! LOL

Besides regular differences between a twin and tripple, they are the same CC's so the top end speed should be smiilar, maybe 2-4MPH different. My buddy has that 600 twin, exact same sled, he kills it, i mean kills it, put a clutch kit in, does "wheelies" all day long, ditch ridding, road killing, deep snow, tons o water, sled is still mint! (except track is killed)

Nice machine man!!!! If you got paper work, I'd be interested in it for sure!!! Can u ride it first??

It seems like you really want a different sled, so I wouls go ahead and grab it, givin you can ride it first and listen to her purr, crank it out, get the RPM's up there and blast off!!!

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw I am just always looking to upgrade in years, I figure if I can update 3 years and not have to float any more cash then what I can get out of the Polaris I would be good to go

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't ride it, the sled is about 400 miles away, a good customer/friend of mine knows the guy that is selling it really well. And it's been well taken care of. So I am just kind of searching things out

·
Mach1 92' 617 & 94' 670
183 Posts
Grab it, like you said, its a few years newer, will handle better, being a twin, much better on fuel too!!!!

Grab it!

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was thinking. See if mine will sell this weekend

·
XTBX (Anthony)
2,058 Posts
It is a good sled on the newer ZX chassis. It will probably handle a little better than your XLT as well. But be aware, your sled is definitely faster. Those MXZ 600s in 2000 had about 105hp, and the XLT tripple 600 has more like 115-120hp. But if you want better handling then MXZ is the way to go.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It is a good sled on the newer ZX chassis. It will probably handle a little better than your XLT as well. But be aware, your sled is definitely faster. Those MXZ 600s in 2000 had about 105hp, and the XLT tripple 600 has more like 115-120hp. But if you want better handling then MXZ is the way to go.
Not true. Xlts are 100hp or less. the 600 ski-doo is more like 115hp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just went from a 97 XLT spl to a 2000 MXZ 700. I am very happy with the new sled. It is taking some getting used to though. The Indy always felt glued to the ground in the corners and the MXZ accually has suspension that leans in the corners! I just had the indy's shocks rebuilt last year too. The MXZ tkaes the bumps a lot better than the indy. (mine had X-tra 12) I am still working on the set up, but it has a much better suspension than the indy. The MXZ has a bit more take off, and I'm sure the top end will be a little higher (haven't got there yet on the new one) The only thing I miss is the sound of the tripple motor.

I got mine for $1500, but it had been sitting for a year and a half and wouldn't start when I got it. Needed new gas and a carb clean and it was good as new. 3100 miles. I'd say $2000 is in the ball park, if it's in great shape and the motor was done right.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
if you can get anything close to $2000 for your xlt, then it is worth doing. the xlt is a single person touring sled. 100hp+/- on a good day, and only makes the power from 5000rpms+. it is set up for trail riding, and not alot more. the mxz is in the zx chassis, makes the same power (in 2000 they were still the cast-sleave 600, 105hp i think was in the range). the sled is also lighter and will perform better off-trail than the xlt. it is also a case-reed sled w/ exhaust valves instead of you monoblock piston port xlt. roughly the same top hp, but alot more torque and better power band. $2000 seems high to me, but for some reason the zx sleds are holding their value alot right now... if you do get the mxz, check the carb boots on it. if the motor was just done you would assume they are fine, but better to check it all over than take a friends word for it all....

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update, the guy sold the MXZ. The fun of dealing on sleds that are out of state. I had my polaris sold, but the guy wanted to write me a check on it and take the sled that night so he could ride on Saturday. I told him no dice. I will not take a personal check on it. So he walked away and never called back. I am assuming he didn't want it too bad if he never came back. LOL

Oh well my sled will do this year, unless I come across another really nice one. For now I will keep the XLT and ride. Did some work on mine last night, adjusted the headlight and fixed the stupid gas tank meter. It kept coming out of the cap, so I JB welded it!!!

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
this is a good place for a reminder that this time of year a good buy on ANY newer sled will be gone before you can sell your old sled. you must strike while the iron is hot!!!

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep exactly!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
I told him no dice. I will not take a personal check on it. So he walked away and never called back.
Smart. Very smart! Money talks when selling to someone you don't know.

Gotta love JB Weld, I carry some in my tool box sledding, you never know WHAT will break!

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yep exactly!!! He assured my his check is good. I looked at him and said so if I wrote you a check for your car you would take it because I said it was good.

Yea your not kidding about JB Weld. I use it on a lot of stuff!!! I really like the JB quick. Gets your crap fixed fast!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts