Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and new to sledding.

I recently was given a 1991 El Tigra EXT 530.
It runs like a champ, has 2800 miles on it. It has a pipe and air box is gone. Carbs have foam filters on them. Not sure if carbs are stock.

I have two questions.

First question- the machine will not start if left for a long period of time (A week or more). You can choke it and pull till the cows come home and nothing. Pop the plugs out, put a little gas down the spark plug holes and she will fire first pull and start easy for the next few days. Seems like if left for a while it's hard to start again.

Second question-The previous owner said it runs great until you do a lot of starting and stopping or slow running then it will act up and have no power. If you change the plugs she runs like a champ again.
I took it out for the the first time two weeks ago and put 75 miles on it. Burnt a full tank of gas. Trail running and road running (road closed for snowmobiling). Averaged 50 miles an hour Id say. Ran great.
Took it out on the weekend and was into heavy snow. Slow running and working it pretty good. It started to act up. If I feathered the snowmobile throttle I could get it going but it would die and bog. Played with it for a while trying to figure out what it wanted. Half throttle, full, slow cruising. It just got worse. Put new plugs in and away she went. The old plugs look great. Getting to hot maybe????

Is not having an air box part of the problem? Not getting fresh air???

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
17,848 Posts
The air box definitely could contribute to loss of power. The air under the hood is hot, the airbox takes it's air from outside the engine compartment, where it's cold. Cold, dense air makes more power. The hot air will also make the air/fuel mix rich if your jetting is set for cold temps, which would contribute to fouling plugs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
check fuel filter inline or in the tank or both to make sure that they are not partcially plugged

check the fuel pump also the pulse line from the motor to the pump that its not cracked

i had a simmilar issue on my polaris 500 and i rebuilt the fuel pump and that helped in the end i found the inline filter was plugged some just casue you see fuel goin through it doesnt mean enough is getting through and it gets worse at lower rpm as the fuel pump doesnt pump as fast

·
Registered
25,332 Posts
Start with cleaning the carbs! Also do an oil consumption test! You may be useing too much oil as well! 12.5 gl of gas to 1 qt of oil!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch guys. I'll have to ask the previous owner all that has been done to it. I know he was trying to resolve the problem but was not able to.

I'll do as you recommend and keep you posted.

As for an air box..... Could a guy just run two 2.25" radiator hose or similar and run it out to fresh air? Not sure how hard it is going to be to find an air box for this machine.

Thanks for your help!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm no slouch in the fab department so should be able to come up with something. Just wasn't sure about restriction.....

Here is a summer project I did...

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a trip to the hardware store... this is what I came up with.

Before.

An electrical box and some PVC pipe and elbow.

Installed

Can't wait to try it out. Hope it works.....

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
nice fab work. looks real nice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was out on the weekend and ran it for about 27 miles. It was damn cold -20 ish so not sure if I was seeing the full affect of the new intake set up. She was purring like a kitten and running top notch.

I was however having issues in the deep powder. Once I let off of the throttle and gave it again the clutch would free wheel, no drive at all. Let it sit for a bit, clear the track and all was fine. The little air door on the front of the sled kept popping open and filling up under the hood with snow so maybe the clutch was getting wet??? I also think I have too much play in the belt so will try and figure out how to adjust it and try that. I jammed the door closed with a stick and it seemed to be better but I have a bit of a bog at the start so thinking belt adjustment as well.

I figured out a trick to get it started with out pulling the plugs and adding gas in the plug holes. If I take the fuel line into either carb and squeeze it repeatedly I see air coming out of the carbs and gas going in. Pulled it 5 times and she fired up!

I'm having Sooooo much fun with this thing so far. I have the bug big time!

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
The fact that your even riding it out in that deep of snow is impressive man! Nice looking sled.
As for your clutches, mine was doing the same thing. It felt like it was in second gear in the low end. I adjusted my belt using this
D&D Powersports LLC Easy Belt Clutch Adjuster from D & D POWER SPORTS LLC
My belt was sitting inside the secondary clutch. I also replaced the spring and rollers in the secondary while I had it apart. Cleaned it with carb clean and scuffed both sides with scotch brite.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was deeper in a lot of spots than shown. It wasn't uncommon to be pushing the snow with the front end like a plow and having it coming up over the hood. It has had a longer track installed on it as well so that I'm sure helps.

That is a slick piece and looks to be well worth purchasing. Thanks, didn't know something like that existed.

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Yeah, I didn't even know one existed either. Lots of places make them (mine was made at a local machine shop for the owner of a race team) but I had no idea what it was even for until I randomly found it on D&D's site. Is super simple, and your obviously a mechanical guy so it shouldn't be a problem!

Do you have an pics of your sled on packed trails? I want to see that extended track man! Sharp looking sled.

As for snow coming into the engine, you can either get conventional screen's or "frog skinz" (I think?) that is like a fabric mesh that lets air in but not snow. Almost all of the newer mountain sleds have them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again. Going to have to look for that mesh now too! :thumbsup:

Not the best picture but here is a side view. This was taken when I got it. I've since removed the Ontario plate sticker and polished it up. I'm not exactly sure how much longer the track is but it has about an 5 or 6" extension out back. The track was lifted as well as I see some holes on the side of the tunnel.

Here is a picture I found on the Internet of a stock EXT. Actually quite a difference.

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
I bet that the extension helps a ton!
I think sled you found online has some newer ZR rear suspension on it :)
Good luck on future mods, I'm sure with what I've seen so far they will come out great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wondered about that. Sure sits high. I was going to go out and see if I had some more adjustment :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts