Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I have a 96 Formula Z 583 with major issues.

1. When I take off from a start I hear a clunk-clunk-clunk like a chain slipping on a sprocket (you can feel the whole sled shake). I thought it was my chain and sprockets and replaced with another set (used). I have adjusted the chain and it still does it.
So then I thought the sprockets were slipping on the track. I have tried to watch someone else take off but it is nearly impossible to watch while laying on the ground. It seems unlikely that this is the problem however this is what it feels like.

The funny part is is when I am going over 10mph and hammer on it it is fine????

Any suggestions?

Also the track is wearing on the top side only on the left side. It is the stock track but I cant imagine it is rubbing on the tunnel. What the hell is wrong with this thing?

The sled runs great, it just doesnt "drive" good. The sled isnt worth much so I hate to put a ton on money into it (I dont want to blindly buy tracks sprockets etc)

Any one want to trade for a good old Indy 500 (ie just put in gas and plugs and go)?

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check the bearing on the left hand side of the main drive shaft that the track runs around. If you follow the speedo cable down, it plugs into the same area. There is a grease fitting there too, that must be greased before you ride. If it gets dry, it'll make one heck of a noise. If it siezes, it'll actually make a clunking noise that you'll feel through the left hand side of the tunnel while your riding. This same thing happened to my '94 Formula Z.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No problem. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts