Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had my sled for a couple of years and have never really had a chance to do too much riding. Now I moved to a town where I will be really able to get out and do some riding. I have a 1996 Formula III 600, supposedly these things are very fast, but I've never been able to get much out of it. Everytime I get on it I foul out plugs or it doesn't really get much speed or snap. I've had it to two different shops in one year, apparently it has great copression and the proper jets. I warm it up on a stand before riding it. But it never fails, every other time I ride, it'll foul out the plugs.

My buddy was on a 1995 (?) Polaris 500 FI long track, and he was beating me off the line all the way on up. The top end seems like it is somewhere around 60mph. Which I've been told is about half what it should be.

The last time I rode it it started on fire on me, I got it out right away, but regardless, flames were coming out of the vents. I figure I must have been accidentally running with the choke half on, as I can't find any leaks and I've started it no problem since. Today I drove it around the yard to load it into a trailer to take it to a friends farm for storage. It ran fine, although I didn't get on it. ANY clues as why it would foul out the plugs all the time? I always have the fuel off when not using it, I use the best NGK plugs I can get, warm it up on a stand with the track moving. What's the problem?

Also, what are some good, cheap performance mods? Any clues to any of the problems I've had would be appreciated. I'm a broke college kid just looking to enjoy a money pit I bought a few years ago. If I had money and hadn't heard such great things about Formula 3's, I'd upgrade, however that isn't the case... Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Running poor

Try running premium gas and 100% synthetic oil. Make shure plug gap is correct. It sounds like a fouled plug are you shure it is running on all three? Yea it should run really clean and crisp.Fuel will go bad over a short time period. I run AVGas or a blend because our premium is only 90 oct. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 97 F-III that ran great. I installed a set of V-Force reeds that woke it right up. I was beating 700's hands down. Watch your belly pan right behind the exhaust, skidoo makes a heat sheild that you should intall here. I smoked a hole through the belly pan before I noticed it. Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it always fouls out the plugs, I run the best NGK plugs I can get. As for the hole from the pipes, I already have on in FRONT of the the pipe, from the fire... Just a 5 inch burn, but I still have to rivet some plastic on it to fill it in. Where would be a good place to find aftermarket parts for my sled? Or even a new belly pan.... Price, unfortunately, IS an issue... Thanks!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
This thread has all kinds of aftermarket suppliers:

Sled Parts

I've got a 780 triple, and it usually fouls the middle cylinder every other ride. Once it's warmed up it goes like a rocket. What I found to do is warm it up on the stand like you said, then shut it down. Remove the three plugs and see if they're wet. They should all be dry. One is obviously fouled if it'll only do 60. Change that plug and the warm engine should bring that cylinder to life. Keep tabs on what cylinder fouls each time, it'll help you get to the root of the problem. Make sure your choke is closing all the way, it was a problem on these sleds. Does it have a primer? If so, try using only that and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh wow im gald im not the only one with a center fouler. Mine fouled just about every 10 miles. Got sick of $3 plugs and got some champion eqivulents to find problem source. Never fouled the champions. Back to the drawing bourd and found the "BEST" NGK isnt the best it can be the worst. Br10es are used but i use the 9 instead considering the problem in the fouling was the carbs out of sinc. Once i got them back in sinc properly the first time i bagged on it it ripped out the limiter strap...lol, but was worth it knowin she was ready to rip. Stay with what the manufacturer suggests not like one guy in here last year that popped a hole in his piston cause his plugs werent right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does this sound like a faulty stator? I was told that the stator isn't going up high enough, whatever that means...

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Could be. The stator supplies the voltage needed to run the ignition system. Weak stators can't keep up with higher RPM's and the motor will bog, foul plugs, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Must've been the stator, with that replaced, the new F.A.S.T pipes, jets, Delta-3's, and carbs cleaned she runs faster than, well faster than before! I haven't got a chance to open it up all the way yet, got it up to 90 mph really quick, and it was still pulling really hard. We just got 7-11 inches of powder, so I have to wait for the trails to get groomed before I can really get on it, but I'll let you know how it all works out. Now I just have to fix the burn hole in the belly pan, that's tomorrow's project... riveting in some plastic, I'm getting too much steam from the snow melting on the can. Thanks everyone for your input, help, and advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts