Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a nice deal from a dealership for a 1997 formula III 600. The sled is in great shape has only 6600km and the engine just had 800$ canadian of work done on it. There will be a short term warranty will will be active next season since this season is comming to an end and I wont be riding just yet. I liked the way the sled felt when I sat on it. The gauges were nice, it had all, engine temp, fuel speed tach on the dash. I am looking for a reliable trail sled that will feel confy but also handle well around the turns. I originally was looking for an MXZ but they are harder to find now. My main concerns over the formula III is the engine. I read horror stories about the tripple and how muhc more maintenance they require in order to keep it alive. Should I go for this great deal? or should I save alittle more and get an MXZ of similar year/engine size?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Ski Doo triples aren't as bad as Polaris and others, although you still need to let them warm up before riding. Cold seizures are more common on triples if you just go wide open when the engine is still cold. I've had a Doo 780 triple for 2 years now and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
i dont know about the doo triples bein better or worse to polaris but ive heard a lot of problems with them. i know lots of guys with mxz's and they havent had a problem. id go with the mxz.

one guy with a triple fouled a plug just about once a day in canada. now if that was just that sled or not, smallengineguys' triple could be rare that it doesnt have problems. i say we need a third opinion!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Regardless of how good my triple has been, a twin will most likely be even MORE trouble free. (less parts, one less carb, etc.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tripple reliability

I think it is verry important to use only high quality synthetic with these engines. Also high octane gas is a must. The best I could find in Fairbanks is 90 oct. Plugs looked a little hot, so I started blending Avgas and 90 oct which I figure is giving me about 95 oct, with a little lead. Plugs look great and machine runs great with no fouling. I run slow trails and more open trails and rivers. It is very important to warm things up before getting on it. Those tripples shure sound mean and is hard to beat.;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The guy i hunt with has a '97 formula III with 5000 miles on it. The only problem he's had was that the clutch needed some adjustment and work. Each sled is different in my opinion, but the biggest thing for every sled is maintenance. The only thing i've heard that might deter you is that the FIII's are supposed to have worse handling and heavier steering with the triple pipes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ski doo triples will run great if they have been taken care of properly like any sled... it all depends on wat u want... the formula III will be more of a lake sled, and be a little clumsier on the trails... the mxz will be a quicker and lighter sled... it is very fun on trails, and is great if your into hittin drifts and messin around... the triples are not a pleasure if u get them barried by yourself cuz they are a tad bit heavy... so if u want a sled for long straights and lakes take the formula III but if you want a sportier trail sled pick an mxz up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts