Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Formula 500 that was just given to me. The only problem with it is a spring inside the recoil that breaks every second or third pull. Apparently this part was a recall back in 97 but don't quote me on that. The rest of the sled is mint condition, but this spring keep breaking every second or third pull. I buy the spring from my local Ski-Doo dealership but it breaks as well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
what is breaking on it? The little hook at the end? Sounds like it is being wound to tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is breaking on it? The little hook at the end? Sounds like it is being wound to tight.
Yes it breaks at the loop at the end, I will be re-building it in the summer and when it comes time to the recoil I'll try winding it not as tight, thanks.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
general rule, no more than 2 turns to tighten the spring. The manual for Skidoo says not to even tighten the spring, just wind until the rope lines up with the hole. Arctic Cat manuals that I have don't say anything about how much, only to do it. Polaris manual actually says 4-5 turns, but I think that is to much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts