Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Polaris Super Sport with the VM34SS carbs. The sled floods out everytime I try to start it after sitting over night. I've taken the carbs apart, used carb cleaner, compressed air etc. When I first put the carbs back on, it starts in ~ 2 pulls. I let it idle for a couple of minutes and it will restart easily. The next morning it will flood out and will not start until the throttle wide open and I pull until I am spent and then my son takes over pulling and it will usually start eventully. Not fun.

After the sled is warmed up, it starts fine. It's just during cold start ups that I have the problem. Like I said, the carbs have been cleaned very well twice and still no fix.

Any ideas? :eek:

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Typical Poo problem, until you can fix it, be sure to shut off the fuel valve at the gas tank to stop this.

The real problem is the needle valves are not sealing and stopping the fuel flow.
Replace them with the rubber tipped (viton) ones and that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RJ- Should I turn thr gas off before I turn the engine off and start the engine before I turn the gas on, or does turning the gas off at any time eliminate the flooding problem while I wait to get the needle valves.?

kccats- I am a novice when working with carbs. Are there any instructions for adjusting the floats?

·
Super Moderator
17,848 Posts
RJ, the only sled that I ever had that did that to me was a cat ;)

dae06, there are some sticky's at the top of the engine/driveline portion of the forum to help you tear down and clean carbs. They are not complicated, but the inlet needle/seat can get gummed up (especially for sleds, they sit all summer with no running) and the gummed up needle doesn't stop the flow of fuel. Turning off the fuel when you stop will keep the gas from flowing and should be a good short-time solution to your problem. You can also put a half can of SeaFoam in the next tank of fuel, that stuff works great to clean the parts of the fuel system. And like RJ said, the Viton-tipped needles seal a lot better than the brass ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BC_Dan

Thanks for the response. I have cleaned the carbs twice in the last 2 days. With both Carb cleaner and compressed air. I am now fairly confident it is the needle/seat. Is it common that carb cleaner and air will not fix this, so the only solution is new needle/seats?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need help here.

Just got off the phone with someone from Dennis Kirk. He said not to go with the viton tipped needle/seat. He said the gas might deteriorate the tip.

Any thoughts or agruments against this?

Also, the viton tip they have on hand has a 1.8 flowrate and my calls for a 1.5. As far as I know the 1.8 would just fill the bowl faster and can be used. Am I way off base here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts