Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. New here, and fairly new to snowmobiles. Just bought a 91 indy 500 classic tonight. Guy dropped it off. Once he left of course I wanted to start it up and play with it.

Since I am new to snowmobiles I didn't notice the kill switch was off. I pulled and pulled and pulled until I was dead tired. Then realized it was off. Flicked it on, put the choke on and pulled a few times. It started up, but didn't want to stay started with the choke on by itself. I held the throttle open a bit to keep it running. Then turned the choke off and started to drive it a few feet. It bogged out and then I noticed fuel pouring from the left side of the sled.

Got it started again and went down the driveway and it bogged out again and I couldn't get it started. Had to tow it back up with the truck.

Did I flood this thing out? If so, what can I do now to unflood it? Do I just need to pull the plugs, and pull it over a few times and then torch the tips of the plugs to dry them out? Sorry very new to this. The guy that I bought it from says the sled ran great, and I know him so I believe him.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sounds about right, pull the plugs - blow them off & dry them out. Pull it over a few times with the key off. Put the plugs back in and you should be good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You may also want to remove the two plugs on the front of the crankcase under the exhaust header. They are 10mm bolts, you will more than likely get plenty of fuel out of there as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger that. I will do that this evening when I get home from work. Maybe I will grab a new set of plugs at Crappy Tire on my lunch hour and an extra set just to keep in the storage area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts