Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an ad up on CL looking for non-running sleds and got an email about a 1974 AC Cheetah 340. He said it's in really good shape cosmetically and ran good until last year when he lost spark in both cylinders. I'm not sure how much he's asking for it, but as soon as I find out I'll let you know. Think I could make any money on this deal if I fix it up and sell it again? The nice thing is this sled is here in the town I live in so traveling isn't a factor.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
unless it free it might not be worth it. a 74 cat is not worth alot, and with an electrical issue it could be a hundo plus to get it running right again. if you want to flip a sled, the best thing you can do is start with something newer than 74. with a machine that is 36years old you won't have people beating down your door to buy it. i would look for something that people would look at buying for a trail sled. i would say pass on the cat...

·
Registered
673 Posts
74 is way too old to make money on... its a good project for oneself but not as a money making venture. need new sleds that are worth lots

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I can get it for $50 or less, I'll think about it. Any more than that and I'm gonna say no go. RJ, could you please expand on the points and condensers for me? If I could get her for $50 and stick ~$50 more into it, that's $100 into something I could probably sell for $200. He said it's in excellent shape besides the spark issue so he'll probably want more for it, but if it's cheap enough I could use the condition to my advantage on the resale.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what he sent me the first time:

I have a 1974 Arctic Cat Cheetah 340 that does not run, but has some new parts on it and the engine is not looked up and the seat and hood are in good condition. I can email you pictures or you can stop by and take a look at as it is located in Watertown, SD. Was a good running sled until last year it lost spark in both cylinders.

I know I won't be able to make much on a 74, but I would advertise it as a good beginner sled. Small, easy to handle, not much power. People around here do like some of the older sleds like this because their kids can handle them. A friend of my aunt's bought his kids a couple old Ski-Doo's and they have a blast on them. If I wouldn't be able to sell it, I'll just modify it and make it a work horse for ice fishing. I still won't buy it unless it's about $50 or around there, though.

·
Catfan
393 Posts
Around here running could bring about 500 bucks. not bad for vintage. points and condensers are easy. just pull the rewing off take flywheel off and there they are. pop a couple screw out of it and there out.

·
Catfan
393 Posts
The points into cdi would be a spendy change and not certain on the if it can be done or not part. And the flywheel can be easy if u have the right pully puller and can be a [email protected]$# if you dont.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright. If someone could please give me some more info on exactly what I would need to pull the flywheel that would be great. Also, where could I find the points/condensers online? MFG Supply has in the parts list for the 1974 AC Cheetah 340 an external ignition coil pack but no point/condenser setup.

·
Catfan
393 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parts Unlimited Condenser - DennisKirk.com

Found the condenser. What exactly are the points? Also, an external ignition coil is $21 from DK if I find it's the problem. If I can get an idea of how much $ I will need to spend in parts I can come up with a better idea of how much it would be worth to buy. I've also checked on similar sleds and they usually run around $400. That would be sweet if I could get $350 or so out of it and have about $100 into it. We'll see what the guy is asking and what the pictures show as soon as he gets back to me again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A lot of times all you have to do is file the points and you can do that by pulling the recoil cup off and going through the windows in the flywheel. I have never had good luck with the china junk points and condenser sold by the aftermarket so beware. The point gap controls the ignition timing so to change points and get the timing right you will need a dial indicator to set up in the spark plug hole to determine how far before tdc the points open to fire the plug. The other thing you need is a conenuity light so you can see the exact instant the points open. Before you mess with the points you might just unplug the wiring harness from the motor and see if you get spark. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Often the easiest fix too.
If after this you still do not have spark, then replacing points and condensers is fairly easy.
I always mark the plate position before removal and then mark the points position before removal so that I can put them back in exactly the same spot. This precludes needing all that special equipment to set timing.

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
If you can get it less than $100.00 It would be a deal, because even if you put another $200.00 into it; depending if its in mint condition cosmetically you should be able to throw that bad boy on ebay and get at least $500.00 for it. Worst case you will have more experience from working on it, and eventually someone will be looking for exactly what you have.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
If you can get it less than $100.00 It would be a deal, because even if you put another $200.00 into it; depending if its in mint condition cosmetically you should be able to throw that bad boy on ebay and get at least $500.00 for it. Worst case you will have more experience from working on it, and eventually someone will be looking for exactly what you have.
well put^

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got another offer. This one seems like a much better deal and easily affordable for me after Christmas. Here's what the guy wrote:

I've got a 1990 Arctic Cat El Tigre EXT 530. It ran 3 years ago, needs throttle cables I think. Motor ran well, seat has one small tear, hood has one crack in corner but is decent. $100 takes it- I'm tired of it taking up shop space!

What do you think about this one? I'm going to email him back asking him for some pics and more info, but it seems like an okay deal that I could make some good money on. Sleds like this go for $500 or more pretty easily in my area.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
you could ride that for the season!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts