Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have an 09 F1000 and plan on doing a top end rebuild just for maintenance as my sled has 5000 miles on it. This will be the first time I've ever done a top end, I'm decent at turning wrenches so that part doesn't bother me, I've been doing alot of research, alot of people suggest honing the cylinders, my initial plan was to just take the pistons out, replace with new and new rings, will this be OK? I ordered 90.30 mm bore spi pistons, and a gasket kit, would anybody be able to chime in and give me a heads up on what to do and what not to do? Thanks! Appreciated

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Welcome
Nice ride
Yes as long as there are no issues inside, stock bore is good.
Yes run a stone hone (no balls) with plenty of WD40
I would remove the motor and replace the seals while you are at it
I would also do a little porting too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome
Nice ride
Yes as long as there are no issues inside, stock bore is good.
Yes run a stone hone (no balls) with plenty of WD40
I would remove the motor and replace the seals while you are at it
I would also do a little porting too!
Thanks for the reply! I don't own a stone hone, would it be okay to just replace without honing if all looks good? And I don't plan on removing the engine, I was planning on doing the rebuild with the engine inside

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Cant replace seals, but it's new enough.
Take your jugs to a machine shop and have them deglazed

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Like KC said. Nikasil is a very tough surface, about all you are doing when honing is refreshing the cross hatch in the glazed surface. It takes special equipment to actually take nikasil off a cylinder to the point that it will increase the size of the cylinder, that's why most suggest honing just to deglaze the walls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts