Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 polaris indy 500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going to the bighorns this winter and would like to have my own sled for it. I am thinking about a 2007 600 rmk with a 155 in track but I am not sure if it will have the power for the deep snow. do you think a different sled will be a better idea or if this will work for the trip?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
600 use to be the normal sled for mountains.

I ride a 600 e-tec and it has plenty of power. Used to ride a 583 and it had plenty of power as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
I pretty much went almost anywhere I wanted with my 2008 600. It has a bit more HP than the 07, as my 08 is the CFI instead of carbs. The 155" x 2.4" track is what makes that sled work well in the deep stuff. The power won't pull the really big hills and won't make the high mark if you are riding with 800's, but it is still plenty capable and gets way better gas mileage.

Don't get too crazy, jet and clutch for the elevation, and have fun!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
More HP just makes it easier to go up and through. Remember this one trip where a guy took his Tundra II. All these guys with their 600's and 700's were bragging about how they made it up this one hill. He decided to take his Tundra II up that hill and did so with less issues than some of the other guys. It is all about the rider!! LOL

I used to ride a Touring E 380 in the mountains. Yeah, it was a lot more work, but I was always right behind everyone.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That is one thing people never think about...The rider and his experience plays a huge role in this sport.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
What I also find is newer sleds let novice riders get into places they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Couldn't agree more or they buy a sled that is WAY more powerful then they should have. Then they end up wrecking it somehow because they were not expecting it to have that much power. I have always said that a riding course should be mandatory. Thankfully in this state if you are born after a certain date it is. ICR what the cutoff year is but at least this state has it. Plus some parents don't take the time to properly teach their kids or whoever they bought a sled for the proper way to ride. The proper way to ride on the trails and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts