Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 cougar 550 that is intermittently firing on one cylinder. Both cylinders are getting gas and have spark. The carburetors are both clean and I have swapped them and it doesn’t follow either carb. The misfires will happen In either cylinder but is independent of what carb is where. Sometimes the sled will run great and fire both cylinders but sometimes will go back to only firing on one. I am thinking stator but would like To see if there are any other possibilities before I replace it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Swap spark plugs and see if problem follows a specific plug. Sounds weird but I once had a plug that acted off/on. Very strange.
Swap external coil, its wire and its cap as well. See if problem follows its external coil.
Also hit the kill switch a few times. I once had a bad kill switch - that randomly cut out its engine as well.
Ensure the back of his ignition key plug is firmly seated as well.

Hope these ideas help.

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
Following Jack's advice, I would look at spark plug wires too. Sometimes the connection in the wires gets bad. You can unscrew the spark plug boots and snip off 1/4" of wire and screw them back on the wire for a better connection. Check up in the boot as well to see if the connection is clean and bright. If not, new wire ends can be purchased at most parts stores. New ends will be way cheaper than a new stator, those things are SPENDY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts