Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A die-hard ski-doo rider... took my first ride on a F7 and F5 this weekend. Very impressed...even the wife liked the F5.

So question that I have is, is it worth getting EFI, or should I go with carb? I ride in VT.

Also being new to Cats...have there been any issues/problems with these sleds (F5, F6, F7)

Thinking of getting a F5 but was not sure if I should go with EFI? Is the price worth it? Also looking at how tight the motors fit into the chassis, how much of a pain is it to change the plugs?

I am thinking of ordering a REV and a Cat for 05.

Thanks for the help and advice!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i like my carb, however efi is nice for: starting, elevation change, temp change, and smooth power response. cat makes the best efi out there, not worth the extra money in my opinion. as for problems with the Firecats, YES. they had a lot in 03 but 04 nothing has come up, some people blew there pipes on the F7s but if it was a true problem cat would have done a recall. got for it i LOVE mine, F6 has boatloads of power for a 600. the plugs are a pain but i went to the local store bought a big long wrench, and now it is a cinch, also the wrench fits in the belt holder perfectly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
It always seems that each time something new comes out it takes a season to work out all the problems. If I go with the carb version it will be the F5. We ran the F5 and F7 on the trails and the F5 was right there...you can only go so fast on the trails...

Glad to hear that the longer wrench works for you. That was a concern seeing how jammed in there everything is.

Going to wait to see what comes out for 2005.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
I don't think you can get an EFI F5...only the F6 and F7. maybe I'm wrong :)

I'd go EFI if I had a choice....I'm sick of carbs....

Like luvthemud said, 2003 there were lots of problems with the Firecats, though they seem to have sorted them all out for 2004

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G-ForceJunkie

You are correct, the F5 is carb only. I guess my point was if efi was worth the extra $$$ then I would go up to a F6...but for the type of riding we do, the F5 is more then enough power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you can get the efi get it. it's great for the average trail rider. and it's releable. runs good all the time. even when the weather gets a little warm. plus no more jetting

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have an efi 700 and it i love it. it starts sooo much better when it is cold out side. i live in vt too what part are u from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey firecat21,
Actually I am from CT. But I do all my riding in VT. Currently I am on a ski-doo FIII and my wife on a MX. But after riding our friends F7EFI & F5...we liked them very much. Not sure what I am going to do. Going to order for 05, need to see what the dealers bring back. Think I might go with a Rev 500SS and a F5...this way I get the best of both!

Came back from St. Johnsbury - rode there this weekend. This Sunday day trip to Springfield area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts