Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new guy here. I browsed many forums and finally joined one. I used to ride in the mid 90’s till about 2012. Mostly trails or ice fishing. Now I’m looking to get into the bush.

I live in the UP of MI and I ice fish a bit, want to trap a bit and access some areas void of groomed trails. I own a large swamp and I’d like to skid some logs out on a sled in winter too. Light logs, cedar and black spruce.

I was thinking a utility Sled or light back country sled but I never see bravo LT’s and rarely a skidoo tundra. They want 3k for an old sled like that when they come up. No bearcats, no Vikings, no Skandics. only sleds I’ve found are a phazer 2 st 1K nice shape and a 80’s tundra. Looks to have sat outside many moons. 1K

I own an old safari and it might tow something if I get a trail packed down but it is terrible for breaking trail (nose dive). Last winter I spent way more time digging it out than I did riding it back in my swamp. Mostly knee to waist deep stuff. Never any help and I’m not a big guy.

I’m thinking at this point maybe just buying something and extending the rails, paddle track, plastic skis to get what I’m after.. I mean 8k isn’t an option. I’d rather spend 750-1500. Maybe 2k for perfect rig. I don’t want a Tank. Light is good. Locally Lots of phasers, jags, puma, Indy 340-500’s, occasionally ovation or bravo short track.. the project would be fun. I think..

I just don’t have a lot of experience with these sleds esp in deep snow. I road in the LP yrs ago. Different world as far as snowfall. I knew a lot of folks that racked a lot of miles on those type of sleds.

Thoughts? Opinions? advice?

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
yeah, the old Tundras, more specifically, the Tundra II's are going up in price. Saw a guy advertising 2 on a trailer for $8000 and it was sold 2 days later. Not sure what the end price was, but I can't imagine it being much less.

Jag 440 is a good choice. They really didn't change much from mid-80's to late 90's. late 90's they improved the suspension immensely. Panther or Panteras are good too.

Don't know if you have ski-skins on your Safari, but they help keep the nose up a lot.

Reactions: Strangewilderness

·
Registered
25,720 Posts
I find this very interesting.
I myself have built many a sled for certain uses!
I built a SRV for a low snow ditch banger
A 91 Wild Cat as a 2 up cruiser
My ZRT is now on asphalt

So how much power are you going to need?
That Phazer might be a good starting point?
A 136 x 1 1/4" should work with a little work
But you might want to see about an electric winch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not too worried about going fast. I have always thought the more power the better but surfing a lot of threads I have noticed that many believe the bravo, tundra type sled do so well because of there lack of power. Not spinning the track and digging down to bottom out? I figure since it’s gonna be an oldie I should use something they made a lot of so I can always get parts. Phazer is readily available, lots of cheap parts sleds too.. enticer is readily available as well..

I have been surfing the ads a lot and have found a few enticer 340T (136”) leaf spring front suspension. I have read random tidbits about them being great in the deep snow. Personally I would think a phazer 136 would dominate it.. but I’m well aware I could be terribly wrong here..

·
Registered
25,720 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Phazers last year, they are fairly light and have good power!

Notice I have been talking Power Not speed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up a pair of Phazers last year, they are fairly light and have good power!

Notice I have been talking Power Not speed!
I am going to look at a phazer 2 ST tonight for 600$. So it has longer track and lower gearing already. Just looking at specs they seem to be just on the lighter side of the spectrum, like you say. Most other models that are 340-440 Weigh a tad more and obv less power. I’m thinking if I find a used 136 with a deeper lug and throw some used plastic skis on the front it should fit my needs pretty well..

Of course looking at em in pics I’m wondering if Yamaha just put rail extensions on at the factory.. I’m a machinist so if that’s the case perhaps I’ll make a bit longer ext and test the waters with a 144” there are lots of used 136 and 144 tracks off the crossover models Available it seems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
500 bucks. Track is beautiful but they sure didn’t put much of a lug on em back then. Two of us got it into the truck. Easiest sled I ever put in a pickup. Track and skis coming soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts