Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been wanting a sled for years and now that I finally have one (98 Arctic Cat ZRT) it runs like crap. When I bought it the guy said it hasn't ran in three years but it has low mileage. Just by pulling the plugs and pouring gas straight into the cyliders was I finally able to get it running but it wouldn't stay running. I changed the plugs and that did it. However it still won't stay running at an idle without the choke on... I was able to get it out and really run it pretty hard for an hour and still no idle without stalling and it backfired a few times. One person told me to pull the carbs, clean them and possibly rebuild them. I am pretty mechanically inclined but have never worked on sleds. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Carbs are always a good place to start, with a 2 stroke there isnt really a whole lot else that could cause those problems. Did you completely purge the fuel system? You can get a lot of crap buildup if gas was left in there for 3 years. I wouldn't reccomend tearing down the carbs till you have the necessary rebuild kits. If you're going to take them all apart why not replace what you can while you're there. Like you I don't have any experience on sleds but lots with old cars and quads, and I must have had my quad carb apart 3 times before I got it right (no rebuild kits on the market).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did drain the majority of the fuel outta the tank then filled it to the brim with new fuel. I'm kind of thinking along the same lines that there isn't much else to go wrong really. I'm going to look for a rebuild kit. I figure if I have them out I may as well do it. My only concern is tuning them properly after the fact. What do you suppose the difficulty level of the rebuild is? Do you know if the kits come with detailed instructions like cars or trucks do?

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Well I hope you haven't ruined the sled by "riding it hard" before cleaning the carbs! What has happened is the pilot jets are plugged (runs with the choke).
Remove the carbs and remove the main and pilot jets(up in the tube). Use a strand of stranded wire to poke threw the pilot jets then spray them good! Clean everything. Then even before you put the carbs back do a compression test!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I sure hope your right, I suppose that I didn't really ride it that hard, merely hit the trails for an hour. You don't think I could've cause much damage do you? I just found the section on this site that details carb cleaning and rebuilding so i am going to do my research before i go prodding around. What am I looking for when doing the compression test?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth... : )
Carb kits rarely come with good instructions - if any at all! Take the advice of Blitzkrieg and don't tear them down, if possible, until you have the parts to put them back together. It's so easy to forget how something goes - even after only a few days. Kccats is right about the pilot jets, too. I've heard that these days, gasoline should only be considered good quality for 90 days. Use a gas treatment for storage, or run the gas completely out. If you're going to get into the carburetor rebuilding business for very many things, buy a gallon can of Gunk carb cleaner or Chem-Dip to soak the carb in for 24 hours. It does a great job. I usually follow that up with an hour in an ultrasonic parts cleaner, and the carbs come out looking brand new.
Good luck! We're all here to help you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you havent torn many carbs apart and you have access to a video camera I would also suggest that you film the dissasembly process, it will definately lessen the chance of you sitting there with a small piece in your hands wondering where it goes. Also if you find anything odd you can post the video and someone will talk you through what's missing/needs replacing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks a lot for all the advice fellas. However I am still nervous about tuning them properly after the cleaning process is all said and done. Any thoughts I don't think i will tear them completley down. I read through the carb cleaning section on this site and it seems to be very helpfull. I think I'll just take the float off clean all the jets, spray them with carb cleaner and then soak them like you said bluedakotasky. Thanks again gentleman. Hopefully I'll be back in a few days with good news!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts