Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I run Klotz for 40 bucks a gallon, or Ipone for 45? Both are good smelling oils ive heard.. Also at my local sled store, I saw this Klotz nitro racing additive,it says dyno tests report 15% power increase... Any body ever use this? Its 12 bucks for 16 oz.. Not sure How much id have to use, but if it really works, id say its worth it.

Now on fuel... in my 03 z440 sno-pro, would I notice any difference at all if I ran 89 or 91? Ive heard my sleds meant for 87 and running higher octane wont really do anything, But if I run 89 or 91 I can advance my timing right? Would it just be a waste of money to run 89 or 91, or is it worth it?

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Oil is a tough call. I have personally ran Blue Marbel, Arctic APV, Amsoil, and even the cheap stuff in tough times. As long as its safe for power valves; if you have them, you should be good to go with any brand, but if its just a simple 2-stroke with no power valves, you are safe with any mid brand oil.

For gasoline, Its sometimes tough to tell the difference, but you need to test yourself. Make sure the tank is empty for each test; you already know how it runs on 87, so you should be able to tell if 89 or 91 make a difference. Run about a quarter tank on the 89 and run it hard to see if you notica any major differences. Once that tank is almost empty, drain the rest out and add a quarter tank of 87 again; test the same way and see if there is any differences. Lastly, do the same draining procedure and run a quarter tank of 91 through it and see if you notice anything. In such a small non-modified engine, there shouldnt be much of a change in performance, but you might get better fuel mileage out of the 91. If you notice a difference with either the 87 or 91 and it perfomed better and idled fine, then you should stick with that.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks. My sled doesnt have powervalves, but id still like to run a decent oil.. I havent really gotten to ride the sled much at all, So thats why I wasnt sure how much of a difference it would make.. My tank is pretty much empty, So ill do 87 first and see, then do the other 2 and compare... Im thinkin ill at least run 89 in it, just because

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
we just put 91 in for the first two tanks because the gas over summer (with stabil) still loses some octane and we 'counter balance' it. Then after that's all flushed out we just run whatever would be the cheapest (and have least possible water because it's used most)

I don't think 4 octane will affect much for yours, but who knows.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
Alright thanks. My sled doesnt have powervalves, but id still like to run a decent oil.. I havent really gotten to ride the sled much at all, So thats why I wasnt sure how much of a difference it would make.. My tank is pretty much empty, So ill do 87 first and see, then do the other 2 and compare... Im thinkin ill at least run 89 in it, just because
Is there anough snow for you to go ride now?:D

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If were gonna be riding agressive and for distance, i'll run 91, if were just trail cruising, ill run reg. 87... Regarding oil, I found this HP injector synthetic race oil for 30 bucks, why is this stuff cheaper then Dominator? Im prly gunna run Klotz, but sense I found this amsoil race stuff for so cheap, im really considering running this...

Up north theres rideable snow, ill be doin some ridin over new years

1 - 6 of 6 Posts