Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello thanks for letting me join up here. I just bought a 06 550 edge and I'm hearing bad things about engine meltdowns. My question is can I add a couple of 12v fans to this sled? I'm not driving it hard. It's mainly to get to the cabin and ice fishing. 馃槅

Super Moderator
There were tons of problems when the 550 went into the Edge sleds. Polaris also went to Nikasil cylinders about the same time, if I recall.

If your sled has been running fine for this many years, it's probably not one that will have issues. Do a search on 550 Polaris burndown and you will find a lot of folks posting their woes and the fixes some folks have come up with.

Good luck with it!

Registered
That is something I did not know. It isn't the greatest fastest thing in the world but usually the fan cooled sleds from Polaris were always reliable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious who has said anything about that engine having meltdowns as that fan cooled 550 was pretty reliable to the point they are still using it.
My brother brought it to my attention today about engine failures so I searched on the Internet and found a lot of people would like to have a recall on this engine. Especially between 04 and 14. These are the things I've been reading all day about trying to keep the engine well cooled.

Registered
I had a rental once for a few days when my Mxz blew a piston on a trip in the UP. The one I rode had over 5000 hard miles on it. It ran an honest 60mph downhill with a tail wind. Not fast but I too heard about over heated sled engines but that one ran great the whole time. A couple of 12v fans wouldn't hurt underhood temps but the problem with those sleds isn't that. It's that the actual engine over heats internally. Fans won't help for that.

Steve

Registered
Well, I have never owned one but my theory from out in left field is that this sled is leaned down so much to meet epa standards that they are prone to burn down. I think the ones that burn down are the ones that are ridden at a steady speed at steady throttle mile after mile. I believe the ones that survived are the one ridden hooligan style with varied throttle and many wide open blasts. I guess the edge didn't have enough vents either to move enough air around the engine too. It all makes everybody wish they still came with Fuji 488's.

Registered
If they are being leaned out that much then if I owned one I would be making it run a little richer regardless of plugs. You can get away with running a little bit rich and a set of spark plugs at 2.50 each is a heck of a lot cheaper then a rebuild!

As far as vents I would be finding a way to add some. IIRC there used to be some SLP aftermarket vent kits that helped with the Edge engines. I wonder if the OP could find some of those used at salvage yards or swap meets in the fall of this year to help out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts