Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have asked a couple of times before about the XCSP and the Switchback but after doing extensive researching I figured that I do not really need a Switchback. I think I was kind of overreacting because we actually don't often see deep snow here. A few guys around here said that they have trail sleds and that they did fine.

So I got it narrowed down to '05 Polaris 600 XCSP. I am debating whether if it is worth spending a little more for the "premium shock package" which include adjustable shocks and 1.25" lug track. The sled graphic that I like the best is red/white however the problem is that you can only get this package is by spring order. Too late for that. So the only way to get the package is the special 50th Anniversary 600 XCSP edition which has this package as standard equipment. The blue graphic is nice too however this will be extra $300.

Because I am going to be riding on and off trail, I think that 1.25" lug track would be ideal thing to have. Agree with me? The stock red/white XCSP has .91" track. How much would it cost for a new 1.25" track, and how long/difficult is it to change the track? I have no experience with this so that's another factor. Also do you think it is worth getting the adjustable shocks? I will sometime ride aggressively but not much jumps (well not that I would expect yet). I would sometime be riding on some areas where it may get a little bumpy but not extreme.

I could either get a stock XCSP or upgrade to 50th Anniversary edition for $600 extra to get this shocks/track package. Again the blue graphics is very nice but I like red/white better. Thanks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A brand new track is gonna be about $300-$500. Probably on the low end for that. To switch out a track should take about 3-4 hours, but if your like me, the first time i did it it took more like 5-6. Anyway i can go into detail how to do it, its really not hard, just labor intensive. I think you would be happey with adjustable shocks. I like the one i have on my rmk and even thought i havent ridden my switchback yet, i really like the ones on the front and rear suspension. Either way you are gonna spend the same amount of time and money, i guess i would get the shock package if you can (personally) because in the long run you will enjoy it more. The track options again is yours, if you are riding off trail alot and dont want a long track, i think the 1.25 track is a very good option. You will get great traction on hard packed but also have some push on the powder.

Also, you can find used tracks on snowest.com forums, under the swap meet part. Thats where i get all my tracks and sell my other ones. Just some thoughts, hit me back if you want me to detail track switch outs for ya. :)

dano

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dano, thank you very much for your input. It sounds like it would cost me around the same in money/time for either sled just to have the 1.25" track. So I think I will go with the 50th Anniversary edition because it comes with adjustable shocks at "no additional cost". Also I think it will be nice to be able to adjust them in the long run like you said. You're a big help. ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any time. I think that is the best decison and yeah "at no extra cost" hmmm, i dont think we beleive that

:)

dano

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
wxmn6 said:
dano, thank you very much for your input. It sounds like it would cost me around the same in money/time for either sled just to have the 1.25" track. So I think I will go with the 50th Anniversary edition because it comes with adjustable shocks at "no additional cost". Also I think it will be nice to be able to adjust them in the long run like you said. You're a big help. ;)
I totally agree with Dano. I think you will find the 1.25" track to be a really nice feature... plus you get the better shocks (which can make a huge difference in my opinion.) If you are riding a lot, I'd go with the anniversary package.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dano & Cobra - I now have the confidence that the special anniversary sled will be the right sled for me. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well... there seem to be a problem. Insurance. :mad: Just got a quote from my agent for this sled - $950 for full coverage. I will turn 22 this coming month and never been in accident or ticketed ever. Well, I am from New York so it's no surprise that insurance is pretty high thanks to frauds. :mad:

The liability & property coverages are only $225. It is a law to have this insurance in NY. But the rest are for comprehensive and collison. That's a total of $725 just to insure this sled. :eek:

·
Registered
711 Posts
holy crap, thats insane. I pay 250 a year for comp, collision, fire , theft. on my rmk its 200 with a 250 deduct. that is enough to buy a new sled after ten years. if you owe money on it you need full coverage but if you dont, at least in minnesota, liability is really all that is needed. Thas about 40 a year for me. hmmm. that sucks Sounds like it is expensive. Not sure what to tell ya on that one

dano

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still looking into 600 XCSP 50th anniversary sled but recently I am thinking about maybe a slightly used sled ('03 or '04). I was going through an older brochure and the Pro X seems to interest me. I thought that maybe it'll work better for me because I like to ride aggressively sometime. I'd like your opinion how they both would compare and what you think would be a better sled? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I live in new york and i pay $63 a year for liability and have had a quote for $185 year for full coverage and i have a 800cc sled and unless you ride on privite property insurance IS required and tickets are not cheap. METLIFE agent in syracuse gave me full coverage quote, local agent gives the liabilty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts