Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried running all 4 lights on high beam? Does the coil put out enough power to run this and warmers?

TIA

·
Registered
105 Posts
goooood ideaaaa

Ive been trying to find out the samething, the lighting coil output (per the performance manual) is 190 watts. Havent figured out the wattage on the existing headlights (per bulb), and I havent found any relays wired off the high beam switch yet so we may have to add one to run all four bulbs to avoid burning out the switch. hopefully smallengineguy may be able to shed some light on this idea cause its a really good one, let me know what you find out, Ill fill you in as well

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Not so good of an idea

The bulbs are anywhere from 50 to 90W each. Add warmers, you'll cook the light coil. Plus some states have brightness laws on the headlight on state trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered if there was enough power. I've done this with a Polaris Quad and it is quite simple. You just run a diode between the hi/low wires from the switch so on hi it powers both, costs about 2$. Oh well it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not that Im blind or anything

well it would be nice to get more light out of my sled, somehow Im pretty sure I wouldnt have issues where I ride with respect to laws. I guess there isnt any mods for higher wattage magnetto's or a light pack??

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know what you mean about drawing to much off the coil, Ya know I didnt even think about checking the wattage of the bulbs at the time (not thinking !!). I figured Id wait for the manual I ordered to come in so Id know if any relays came into play with regard to the switch on the handle bars. At any rate Ill find out when I get the sled back. I left it with the dealer to have my speedo sensor replaced which you probly read about in another post. The thought of adding a small battery crossed my mind?! I do know for sure that the "lighting coil" output is approx 190W at like 3.8K RPMS. Guess ohms/watts law will have to come into play here somewhere? Im not to familiar with the charge circuits on these but wouldnt help prevent an overload on the coil?
Sorry Im rambiling on now Ill shut up. Ill find out about the bulbs unless someone (jammerz) can look at the bulbs on there sled sometiume soon!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts