Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Arctic cat F7 -03.Now to the problem, When its cold it can start on 2-3 pulls but when its warm things getting harder. From 5-15 pulls before it starts can sometimes be even more. Its like it gets to much fuel in the start.

. One more thing, its also low on idle rpm's (so low that the speedometer dont works.)

I have changed the plugs and it was better for some time but now its back to this..

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
compression test first, and if that is ok, get it running and set your idle correctly! My '01 efi was a pain to start warm when the idle was too fast, and in setting it, i noticed too slow was just as much of a problem.

Once the idle was set according to the book spec, it is 2 pulls cold, 1 pull warm, no matter what.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
will it start better with a bit of throttle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
Thanks for all comments.

@smokingcrater:

Alright, how do I adjust the idle? I have serched but cant find where.

@Spun222400
When its warm it will need a bit throttle to start.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hello,
Thanks for all comments.

@smokingcrater:

Alright, how do I adjust the idle? I have serched but cant find where.
at least on my '01, there is a TINY little allen head screw that works as a return stop for the throttle. Basically just get your head down to the intake and watch what stops it from returning when you are moving the throttle, shouldn't be too hard to see.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
check the ohms on you stator, a bad stator can cause hard starting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@smokingcrater: thanks, i will try that.

@Spun222400: If so, that should be visible on the sparks? I have tested and there is spark when i pull.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
@smokingcrater: thanks, i will try that.

@Spun222400: If so, that should be visible on the sparks? I have tested and there is spark when i pull.
good blue spark?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, a good spark.

Update on this story.
I was about to start it someday ago and it did not start. I was suspected that it was flooded.

Alright next day, after some more attempts to start it its pretty clear that it is too much fuel in the cylinder. I took off the spark plugs of and pulled and it sprayed up alot of fuel. What Is the best way to drain it? I pulled for some time but it seems like it was not enough, its like it just fuel more when i pull :p. Can it be something wrong with the fuel injectors?

Note, this is a cold start. It usually start when its cold but not now..

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Leave ignition switch off, hold throttle wide open. It should clear in about 10 pulls.
Put new plugs in loosely and start it. Shut it down and tighten the plugs.

Do you always test the throttle for free travel before starting?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Yep, no matter what, I am in the habit of always testing that my throttle works. Pull it to WOT and let it snap back.
Particularly important on EFI sleds as the TPS can give a false reading to the ECU if it is open even a little.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I tested it today but no luck. Right after I drained it I got some life but just for a sec and then it stopped. Either its still to much fuel in the cyl, or it gets too much in the start..

Could it be something wrong with the TPS? I tested with the throttle but it seems to be fine..

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi, I tested it today but no luck. Right after I drained it I got some life but just for a sec and then it stopped. Either its still to much fuel in the cyl, or it gets too much in the start..

Could it be something wrong with the TPS? I tested with the throttle but it seems to be fine..
TPS is all or nothing... If you have an issue with that you won't get any spark.

how about the fuel regulator? not on expert on that, lots of very good people for that on here, but from what I've heard, when they fail, they tend to run the fuel pressure up way past stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like compression issue with the hard hot start. I have an old jag that is the same. I have to give it half throttle to start when hot. When engine gets hot heads etc will expand and lower the compression.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
Sounds like compression issue with the hard hot start. I have an old jag that is the same. I have to give it half throttle to start when hot. When engine gets hot heads etc will expand and lower the compression.
x2 I thought compression was tested but rereading it doesn't seem so,

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
I had problems this weekend with hard starts on my 2010 800, had ice buildup in the air silencer, intake and on the air temp sensor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.