Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently replacing the stator on my 93 ext 580z, everything was going smoothly until i hit the fly wheel. Yes i have the puller and none of the bolts in the kit fit the fly wheel, so i had a bunch of bolts that would fit it and every single time it’d either snap or bend the bolts. nothing worked, i even took heat to it and still nothing. even pushed and pulled, when i say i tried everything i tried literally everything. Some tips would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if something needs to be lined up.

·
Super Moderator
2,165 Posts
Flywheels can be a real PITA
I believe the bolts that hold the recoil cage are 6mm ( i have even taped them out to 8mm)
Get the strongest bolts you can (hardened step down cant remember the name)
If you have a good Ace the bolts have a larger 8mm body but 6mm thread

Then a good harmonic balancer puller and heavy washers

Be sure that there is no washer on the end of crank and give it a shot of PB Blaster
Hook it all up (be sure to make the nut flush) and put as much tension on it as you can (back up clutch with pry bar)
Let it sit and give it a tap (don't whale on it)
Come back later and stand on the breaker bar as you tap
Careful when it pops it will scare you!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I usually just do what KCCats said, put as much tension on the puller without bending anything and then just let it sit. Come back a hour or so later and tap the puller with a hammer and tighten it just a bit more. Usually pops off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts