Snowmobile Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
That first picture if it does what Polaris does it is for adjusting the spring tension i.e suspension for a soft, medium and firm ride out of the springs. Not sure on the Arctic Cats though but Polaris ones from that time do that.

And dan is dead on had it happen even to mine on the older Polaris square ones from the early '90s been lucky so far with the newer version they put out in the late '90s from them. It just happens but as he said not enough of a snow flap or not in the right position and not enough snow on the heat exchangers will cause overheating.

I change out springs every few years it is one item that people tend to forget about. For the cost of them I just replace them for the 40-60 bucks they cost for the pair and be done with it. Did it last year on the one as they were 8 years old and starting to sag just a little bit so changed them out before anything bad could happen. Have to do it on the other snowmobile this November when I am healed up from another surgery the 28th along with 96 new 1" studs as well so guess who gets to sit on the cold concrete floor with a dremel tool,lol.
Yeah I know what the triangle block does. I'm talking about that arm sticking up from between the rails. It has the straps connected to it at the bottom, I think its supposed to pivot in there. Having never really seen a snowmobile suspension before, how it's supposed to work is not immediately apparent.

So basically I can extend a flap and make a bracket to keep it off the track, and it should redirect enough snow to avoid any overheating issues.

I think the springs are ok, I can bounce on the machine and it doesn't bottom out and they are on the lowest setting. I think that flap got ripped up dragging it off of trailers.

It's getting close, I need to get a battery and front end parts. Nice to save something from the scrap yard and put it to use. I know the wife will be pleased, she's tired of seeing parts all over the place. :D

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Yes it moves as the suspension moves up and down, that is a limiter strap all snowmobiles have them normally they are on the front only but Arctic Cat I am not sure on KC would know exactly what it does. I would consider a torsion bar of some sort. I know mine both have something similar on them but the limiter strap is only on the front not the rear like that one looks to be unless I am seeing it wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Its installed and seems to be working, nothing binding or anything so apparently its put together correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Ok so today I am sorting out wiring to the handlebars and switches. It looks like they used one harness for all of their machines because it appears I have wires for things I dont have, such as electric start. I've run into 2 things I cant figure out. I dont know where the low oil sensor should plug in and I cant figure out where the hand warmers get power from. I'm assuming that with the key on the only thing that has power is the ecu? So I need engine running to figure out what wires supply power?

·
Registered
26,387 Posts
This is a Batteryless efi then yes
And will be AC!
The oil switch is a flat white? I think and the only one?
The hand warmers just come off the main harness and yep same as rest for the most part!
There should be a 6 way plug, has yellow on one side and brown?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
This is a Batteryless efi then yes
And will be AC!
The oil switch is a flat white? I think and the only one?
The hand warmers just come off the main harness and yep same as rest for the most part!
There should be a 6 way plug, has yellow on one side and brown?
It actually does have a battery.

I think I have it figured out now, there was some weird loop thing plugged in where I believe the oil sensor should be.
Household hardware Grey Wood Cable Handle

At least on the wiring diagram it looks like the oil sensor plugs in the center of the 6 prong plug. I dont know what the thing in the picture is. But things seem to be working, hi/low beam, brake light, warning lights. I have a single green wire with a white plug on it that has no place to go, but no idea what it does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Light

So I have it pretty much done now. Couple loose ends to tie up and need to get a battery but from what I can see it should be ready. I still need to work on the flap and check ski alignment but it now looks like a snowmobile again.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Many people just use a lawn mower battery these days. I don't in my EFI but I order the AGM sealed style from Amazon for 40 bucks every 3-4 years. As long as you keep a battery tender on it when not using it i.e disconnect the cables on it and hook the tender up you will get that 3-4 years out of a battery vs 1 that many do because they won't spend the money for a tender or buy the cheapest battery they can find online.

·
Registered
26,387 Posts
Yep been using my Exmark battery for years f you keep using them they really do last.
I had a 5 year old Lawn mower battery in my Mini Truck!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts