Snowmobile Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Make sure you put a lock or something on that spare or take it off like we did and when we trailer we put it inside the vehicle. Those are known to get stolen in the Midwest quite often. Also look around for set of ski slides for the deck and maybe a salt shield used. People sell those as well all the time. Heck I traded a case of Miller Lite for a salt shield along with all the ski slides for our trailer then we took a used track cut it in half and bolted it down towards the rear to protect the deck from studs. Also make sure you seal the wood every couple of years as well so it doesn't rot.
Yeah I have to do a few things, I have an old track to put on it and I think I can find some free old bedliner to cut up for slides. Be tough to find a salt shield around here but I do have my eyes out already. I lucked out even finding a trailer, they're scarce around here for some reason. Maybe people hauling rzrs on them.

·
Registered
26,346 Posts
Pick your color!
Black plastic with carbides are bout $100
I have Green and Purple as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so what will bolt up then? I see lots of skis off of modern machines on ebay, etc. I assume anything can be made to work?

I finally picked up a trailer today, slightly hard to come by around here, especially these days.
View attachment 66333
So now I need running machines to put on it.
I bought a used snowmobile trailer that I specifically bought because it had the aluminum ramp clipped under the deck.
On the way home stopped at Menards Lumber yard in Wausau WI for about a half hour.
While parked in the lot, Some low life stole the ramp from underneath! Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Yep doesn't shock me though with it happening in Wausau. Swear that town has gone to sh*t the past few years. We don't keep anything bolted to the trailer anymore. We keep everything in the vehicle because that was happening around here a lot. Ramps, people who had spares bolted to the trailer, cargo boxes even with locks on them were being broken into. Only other way to get around it is to buy an enclosed but good luck buying a decent one of those right now.

·
Registered
26,346 Posts
Yes I believe so.
Seems to me there was an older AWS that was different?Measure between the sides of your existing and I'll go measure a ski

·
Registered
26,346 Posts
Yep mine too.
You are good to go
I posted that there will be a swap meet at Belviedere Oct 3 (by Rockford Il)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Yep mine too.
You are good to go
I posted that there will be a swap meet at Belviedere Oct 3 (by Rockford Il)
I did see that posted, thought about going to check it out. Might come home with a truckload of stuff though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have this thing getting close now, I went to put the skid back in and realized I need a couple of those plastic bushings that snap inside the idler wheels so that's all I'm waiting on. I put the track on a few days ago and it clears the front cooler with plenty of room. Anxious to get it back together.

What oil is recommended for the chain case?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Klotz or Amsoil or Arctic Cat Chain case fluid on most usually they are Full Synthetic these days. Just don't use gear oil or ATF in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I got those plastic bushings so I put the skid together and reinstalled in the machine. Then I realized I have a problem. Track is too long, apparently I have a 136 and I need a 121. So I sat there for a while trying to figure out if I should get another track. :unsure:I have a good deal of time in the skid with new bearings and shocks already. I decided to see if I can make it work. I decided to move the wheels back so I made some brackets which I have mocked up in the machine now. I see no reason why this wont work.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

Obviously I will have to extend the tunnel and move the heat exchanger, I do not see this being very difficult though.

·
Registered
26,346 Posts
I would simply rework the flap!
I have several of the 'W' braces that hold flap out (for rev)
It is possible to relocate it for clearance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I would simply rework the flap!
I have several of the 'W' braces that hold flap out (for rev)
It is possible to relocate it for clearance!
If that will work that's what I will do. I thought the track may hit the back of the tunnel if it bottoms out. I'm going out shortly to work on it for an hour or two.

So here's something I dont understand. How is this part supposed to work? Does it pivot when the suspension moves? It seems to be sitting in there at an arbitrary angle.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Also the flap that was on the machine is all tore up, is this from having worn springs and dragging on the ground? I have the same springs in it now and it seems to sit low to the ground, but I dont know enough to be sure. It looks like the studs were hitting it.
Photograph Light Black Automotive tire Font

·
Administrator
18,453 Posts
it looks like the flap got sucked into the tunnel by the track and the track chewed on it a little. That happens from time to time, especially if you back up in deeper snow (or slide backwards). It's something to keep an eye on as you are riding, as with the flap in the wrong position, not a lot of snow will hit the heat exchangers and you can overheat pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
That first picture if it does what Polaris does it is for adjusting the spring tension i.e suspension for a soft, medium and firm ride out of the springs. Not sure on the Arctic Cats though but Polaris ones from that time do that.

And dan is dead on had it happen even to mine on the older Polaris square ones from the early '90s been lucky so far with the newer version they put out in the late '90s from them. It just happens but as he said not enough of a snow flap or not in the right position and not enough snow on the heat exchangers will cause overheating.

I change out springs every few years it is one item that people tend to forget about. For the cost of them I just replace them for the 40-60 bucks they cost for the pair and be done with it. Did it last year on the one as they were 8 years old and starting to sag just a little bit so changed them out before anything bad could happen. Have to do it on the other snowmobile this November when I am healed up from another surgery the 28th along with 96 new 1" studs as well so guess who gets to sit on the cold concrete floor with a dremel tool,lol.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts