Snowmobile Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok so I have this thing tore out of the machine now. Everything is rusty and I had to drill out a set screw but so far so no problem. Now i can't figure out how to get this wheel off.

I dont know about using a puller because I think it will break. Neither side is just going to slide off. Any suggestion is appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
It definitely needs bearings, there are some wheels that barely turn. I also need to replace some hardware, I couldn't get the tensioner bolts to turn at all I had to remove the back wheels and drive the shaft out.

So - do the wheels and bearings come as a unit or are they separate? I think I should replace a couple of them because they look beat.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Bearings can be replaced without a problem. Should have been a snap ring on it holding it in somehow, sometimes they are on both sides but not always. If not then you will need to use a puller to pry it off which does happen. Usually there is 2 sizes of bearings on a rear suspension. And they are very common bearings to the point you can buy them in 10 packs on Amazon for around 20-25 bucks a 10 pack. Heck on a Polaris same bearing that goes on bogie wheel in the rear suspension is the same one that goes in the chaincase.

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
Remove the snap ring on the inner side and remove the bogie.
The with 3 jaw puller remove the bearing.
Make sure it goes back on that way!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thankfully last time I did a whole suspension like that once the snap rings were removed the bogie wheel & bearing came out together. Just had to then use a socket and a hammer to get the old one out then put the new one it along with a snap ring and was done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
You just saved me a lot of time, I was getting ready to weld up a tool to reach around the wheel and pull the whole thing off. Did not see the clip behind it.

Remove the snap ring on the inner side and remove the bogie.
The with 3 jaw puller remove the bearing.
Make sure it goes back on that way!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Been busy with work for a while but I was able to get in the garage a bit yesterday. Everything in the rear is good to clean up and reassemble after some sandblasting except for one part that is seized up tight.

This is where the bottom of the shock bolts to. One side fell apart when I removed it, the rest of it is rusted tight. If anyone has a skid laying around and wants to sell these parts let me know. Otherwise I will have to cut it apart and get some round stock. This is all i need to reassemble the machine and be good to go.

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
At this point you would really be way better off to find a 97-99 or even newer skid!
Replace the hole thing, the newer has alot more travel!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I agree with kccats. See if you can find a 97-99 parts sled, they're usually cheaper than just the skid. My only problem with parts sleds is that I usually want to fix them up too. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
At this point you would really be way better off to find a 97-99 or even newer skid!
Replace the hole thing, the newer has alot more travel!
This is what I was originally going to do, but I figure this being my first snowmobile project I should keep it as simple as possible. But maybe just swapping for a newer skid would have been simpler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok so with work being crazy I have had no time to be in the garage but I have managed to get the skid mostly reassembled with all new parts and the clutch removed in order to get the old track out. Maybe tomorrow I can finish changing the track and get it put back together.

Which leads me to this question, what should I do for skis? Should I clean up and use the factory ones, or get something else? I dont mind modifying things to make some fit if I need to. But I would prefer to ditch the ones on there, they are pretty shot. I need to find some and get them on the way so that they are here when I have time to work.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would go with plastic if you don't have them already. A lot easier to steer and the weight savings off the front end is worth it. I took around 30lbs off the front end of my Polaris snowmobiles when I switched to plastic skis. You can get a whole kit from Camoplast with saddle and carbides for around 225-300 iirc. Worth every single penny and then some. Or find a used set of Arctic Cat Skis from a salvage yard or eBay or facebook marketplace that will bolt right up and get 6" carbides.

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
Swap meets!
I have picked up several sets of Cat plastic skis with good carbide for $100 a set!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Swap meets!
I have picked up several sets of Cat plastic skis with good carbide for $100 a set!
Ok so what will bolt up then? I see lots of skis off of modern machines on ebay, etc. I assume anything can be made to work?

I finally picked up a trailer today, slightly hard to come by around here, especially these days.

So now I need running machines to put on it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Make sure you put a lock or something on that spare or take it off like we did and when we trailer we put it inside the vehicle. Those are known to get stolen in the Midwest quite often. Also look around for set of ski slides for the deck and maybe a salt shield used. People sell those as well all the time. Heck I traded a case of Miller Lite for a salt shield along with all the ski slides for our trailer then we took a used track cut it in half and bolted it down towards the rear to protect the deck from studs. Also make sure you seal the wood every couple of years as well so it doesn't rot.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts