Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Personally I would be looking for a pipe you can find them used at a lot of salvage yards and with swap meets "hopefully" coming back this fall then you can find on there. Also check facebook, craiglists, ebay and so on. There is a lot of people out there parting out old snowmobiles.
That was the plan, I found one one ebay however I dont want to pay a hundred bucks plus shipping for it. I'm not sure what other machines share the same pipe or one that will work which makes searching difficult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have some parts coming so for this weekend I will leave the sled to the side. I found an exhaust but I am going to fix this one and keep it as a spare since I have another machine that uses the same one. Next week I plan to get everything back in place under the hood and then find a track as this one is shot

·
Registered
26,228 Posts
Im waiting on Japan Bearings for my Project
Bout done with the mower trailer, gota get mowing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ugh I am still waiting on parts to show up, getting antsy to make some progress!

Can I run a 1.25 inch lug without clearance issues? It looks like it will work but be close.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Might be close KC will know more. I wouldn't try to do it with studs if there is a center cooler or anything. Biggest I go on my Polaris snowmobiles with the Xtra-10 is 1.06 from Ice Attack or a .91" or 1" with studs and the 1" with studs is close so I went to the .91" with 1" studs. Personally I would go look at the 1.06" Ice Attack it is a well 1.06" track with 240 built in studs and they are nice, they hook up and put down traction. Just make sure you put at least 6" carbides on it. I have 8" carbides on mine but I also paid the same price for those as I would for the 6" so eh why not get the upgrade for the same price.

·
Registered
26,228 Posts
I have an 1.25 with Double tap studs in my ZR1035
But on that 580 a 1" track will be night and day above the stocker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Out of curiosity, are these sleds of this vintage all pretty much the same? I have a 94 here with the same motor in it and everything looks identical although the wire colors are different. So could theoretically if I were troubleshooting could I swap the cdi or ecu? Or if one went bad, steal parts off the other?

·
Registered
26,228 Posts
There was no reason to reinvent the wheel.
Most parts are indeed interchangeable, even between brands!
Remember Cat did NOT make any of the parts on the sled, just assembled them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So I got held up for a while waiting on parts. Turns out they did not make it through customs and I had to make another order. Today I finally made time to get out in the garage and get to work. Everything is reassembled all the wires under hood tucked away, new fuel coolant and oil lines and it is up and running. Just have to put the hood back on.

So next I have to sort out the wiring to the handlebars since all of that was disconnected when I got the machine. Should not be a problem. Then it is on to replacing the track and going through everything back there but I do not forsee needing any parts.

Only question is what should this machine idle at? I adjusted the idle screw down to about 2k.

It was nice to be in the garage today it's been a while since I've been able to wrench on anything, snow will be here before we know it.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
It's 101 here today, not a snowflake in sight. We are heading to a high of 104 on Tuesday. It's 95 in my garage, I think I will stay inside where it's nice and cool :D

Idle RPM should be 1600-2000, so it's on the high side of the spec. I ran my ZR580 EFI at about 1800 and it ran fine. So will yours at 2000 ;)

·
Registered
26,228 Posts
Yeah your fine
But don't be fooled the skid may need bearings!
And or the plastic shims, inside the idler bearings.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Agreed personally if you are going to remove the skid I would be changing every bear, plastic shim and going to graphite slides while it is out along with putting in rebuildable Fox Shocks or something like it with a fresh rebuild on them. That way the entire thing is nice & rebuilt with a nice new track as well.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts