Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a summer project, 93 EXT 550. The guy says it has been sitting a few years, he had a no spark issue. I took a quick look at it and it turns out there was no power from the battery. I resolved that problem and now have spark, but I did not attempt to start it. Currently in the process of tearing it apart to clean it up, mice have been all over it.

I have found that the previous owner somehow bypassed the kill switches as I have power to the ecu regardless of the position of the key. As soon as I put power to the battery the fuel pump kicks on. I cannot figure out how he did this so for now I am not worried about it, as I believe the machine will run so I can sort the harness later. I have pulled everything apart under the hood and going to power wash this thing, oily nasty rats nests in there. The plan is get it cleaned and reassembled, get it to run, and then address the rest of the machine.
This is how it sits now. Heading back to the garage soon to start cleaning everything else up. The goal is not a nice restoration, just to have some fun. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after cleaning I realize that the pump has been leaking oil somewhere as everything is covered in it. Impossible to tell where from until I start it and visually find it. As I was flipping the motor around cleaning it I happened to look through the intake and see a bunch of oil pooled up in it. Not sure how this happened so I have to investigate before putting it back in. I know little about 2 strokes but I dont imagine that this is normal. Only thing I can think is maybe it wasn't getting fuel and someone pulled the rope a bunch of times.
I will also need intake boots, small tears on both of them.

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
Lots of times if a 2-stroke engine sits for a while, all the oil that is coating the underside of the piston, connecting rod, cylinder, and crankcase settles to the bottom of the crankcase. It then pools, waiting.. waiting.. waiting.. until the next season (or next time started.) Then the airflow coming in from the carbs grabs on to the excess pooled oil and shoves it right up into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. That is why most starts after sitting are really smoky until the engine warms up. That's also why it's never a good idea to start a 2-stroke in the summer unless you allow it to get to operating temperature, as that will compound the problem. If there's too much oil sitting in the crankcase, that will also be a guaranteed plug fouling on that first start next winter.

That's my humble opinion, mind you ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of times if a 2-stroke engine sits for a while, all the oil that is coating the underside of the piston, connecting rod, cylinder, and crankcase settles to the bottom of the crankcase.
I think this is partially what happened. Also lots of trying to start with no fuel going in, as the guy had no power. I will just clear out what I can and reinstall.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
Welcome
Nice Project!
I would not think that the oil injection had a leak more the exhaust!
And if that motor has bout 4K I would go ahead and go threw it and new seals and pistons!

Remember that is the little Bro to the triple exhaust 580!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Cool project! Keep us posted! Cosmetically, the sleds looks great. Nice OEM seat on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And if that motor has bout 4K I would go ahead and go threw it and new seals and pistons!
It's a little over 3k I think. I had good compression on it and thought about doing this but I dont want to wait for parts to get here. I should easily get a season out of it and maybe do it in the spring.

I did not do much today, I started putting things together but I need some fuel line plus odds and ends so on hold for now. I did find some frayed wires I need to address though.

Back to work tomorrow so not much time to play in the garage. Which sucks because I like this kind of work but sure hate the other kind :D

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
Is that mice damage?

I was talking to the Pisten Bully tech when they stopped by this winter to work on our cat, he said that they have found that mice don't like brake cleaner. He advised if there is a mouse issue, they spray down the wires with it and have way less issues. I'm going to try that out this summer!

Doing mechanical work because you WANT to is a lot more fun than doing it when you HAVE to... just sayin' ;)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've sprayed wires for years with brake cleaner was told that when I was a kid that critters hate that stuff and yes it works.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
It's a little over 3k I think. I had good compression on it and thought about doing this but I dont want to wait for parts to get here. I should easily get a season out of it and maybe do it in the spring.

I wont say that is unlikely, BUT
if a skirt were to let loose all you have done is for Nothing!
A set of pistons and a Complete gasket set with seals is bout $200!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wont say that is unlikely, BUT
if a skirt were to let loose all you have done is for Nothing!
A set of pistons and a Complete gasket set with seals is bout $200!
It's not for nothing, get the opportunity to familiarize myself with these machines, I've never worked on a snowmobile before. Now that I have done it once I can get the motor out in a short period of time.

I managed a few hours early today to finish cleaning and inspect the harness for any obvious damage which there is none. So I have it laid out over the motor so I can start poking at it with the meter and try to figure out what's going on.

Which leads me to this question. Theres a battery light by the key, when is this supposed to be on? I assume it comes on with the key and goes out once it's running? And does anything else light up when the key turns on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts