Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Grand Touring that I am having problems with. The first one is when starting out I sometimes have to feather the throttle in order to get enough RPM's to engage the clutch. It's almost like the engine is starving for fuel. Second once the clutch engages it runs fine under 40MPH. When you go faster than that end when putting a load on the engine like going a long distance uphill the exhaust box overheats to the point where the plastis gets so hot it smoke and gets soft. Yesterday it even caught fire... There is no fuel leak and the engine is not overheating it's strictly the exhaust box.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Have you checked the jetting for your temperature and altitude? Sometimes hot exhaust is caused by a lean condition in the carbs. It could be varnish on the jets has built up to effectively make them smaller in diameter.

I would start by doing a thorough cleaning of the carbs and make sure the air screw is properly adjusted. You may want to go a little on the rich side. Lean air/fuel burns hot, rich air/fuel burns cool(er).

·
Registered
3 Posts
1997 Ski-Doo 380 fan Touring LongTrack
Machine runs GREAT, always ran GREAT, never gave any trouble at all till last week. Was riding easy for 1/2 hour at 20-30 MPH at about 28-30 degrees F on packed trails at Twin Mt NH near the Cog Railway. Stopped for a quick break and my son noticed my sled was smoking from under the cowl. The exhaust was SOOOO HOT that the foam under the cowl near the exh was burned and smoking and the plastic bellypan under the exh was melted and very soft to the touch. Never had this happen before! After a 5 min cool-down continued to ride under same speeds and conditions and NO problem for the rest of the trip.
Ideas please?
THANK YOU!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts