Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping my friend with his 2000 RMK 700 that is burning through hifaxes at an alarming rate. It seems to be the worst near the front where the skid has started to wear down as well where the slides are totally worn down. What could be the cause of this? I have heard loosening the track, checking track clips, and loosening the limiter strap can all help. Do tracks tighten on their own, because this didn't used to happen. Any other suggestions? Anyone got a favorite brand of hifaxes that last longer? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
Most of the time, hyfax wear is caused by a lack of snow getting into the tunnel to melt and lubricate the hyfax. It's more common on deep paddle tracks, as the hyfax is higher off the snow. Riding for miles on groomed trails can take it's toll on the hyfax. The best thing to do is to add ice scratchers and put them down when on groomed trails or hard, frozen snow. The scratchers will kick up ice chips into the tunnel so the hyfax can be lubricated.

The Polaris hyfax will last as long as most. Some of the after-market stuff is very soft and will go way in a season, even with using ice scratchers. I have tried graphite hyfax, they did no better than the Polaris stuff. I have not tried the super-expensive, super-slippery stuff, that could be an option.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We pulled the old hifaxes off, and they were worn to nothing. Parts of the skid had worn off as well, but its in good enough shape to still use. I noticed with the sled on its side, the track felt pretty loose, at least looser than the tracks on my machines. How much play should there be in the bottom of the track when the sled is on its side? This particular machine has been used to shuttle skiers up the mtns for most of its life, so its seen a lot of weight and I think its starting to show.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Loosen the track a little, and if anything shorten the limiter strap, not lengthen...you want to take pressure off the front of the slides, BUT, by shortening the limter you are adding ski pressure, which in turn will make it harder to get the ski's up on top of the snow. So go a little at a time.

·
PanicAttack
490 Posts
Look at the front of your rails, there is a T on the bottom that the hifax sits on, I don't know what it's actually called... basically a dove tail.. Anyway, I have the same sled and the front of my rails are shot, and I can already see wear on the hifax because of it, will have to replace the rails soon.

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Make sure all the track clips are present.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts