Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting in the woods for 6 years, I got my ‘83 Excel III running today.
It still needs work to run good, but it’s a start. One cylinder was locked up, but I got it freed. I’m going to change the chaincase oil, fuel lines, filters and clean it up. I should have it ready for a test drive next time we get snow.

More pictures and a description can be found in my introduction thread here: https://www.snowmobileforum.com/threads/new-excel-iii-owner.153400/#post-1178869

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Over the past few weeks I replaced the fuel lines, oil lines, filters, and fuel pump, and worked on making it look nice. I polished the hood and windshield. The paint is almost perfect on it, the windshield also cleaned up nicely.

I still have more cleaning and polishing to do, but it looks much better than it did 2 months ago when it was sitting in my neighbors yard.
I finally got to take it out for a ride last night. It’s running good, but I have some electrical work to do. All of the lights burned out, bad voltage regulator? The electric start is not working either, but I think that is the solenoid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, the lights will be a bad or badly connected voltage reg.

Starter could be a couple things, but you sound like you have the troubleshooting in hand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the lights will be a bad or badly connected voltage reg.

Starter could be a couple things, but you sound like you have the troubleshooting in hand.
Thanks. I don’t know much about electrical troubleshooting, but my dad knows a little so I’ll see how far we get before I ask for help.

I took it out again today. Rode it around for about 20 minutes until something in the steering broke. Not sure what, I’m guessing something rotted and broke. I didn’t have time to look at it yet. Hopefully nothing too expensive or hard to fix. I’m trying to upload a video to YouTube, but it’s taking a long time since our internet is slow.
A1557CBE-9C76-4A6B-91AB-1F08CA33555F.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured out the steering problem. The part where the column bolts to the belly pan rotted off. I’m going to try weld something in there for now, then fix it right over the summer,

Here is the video from yesterday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the steering fixed. I pulled the motor for easier access from the top. Then I made some patches and riveted them in. They will be ok for now, but I want to find a good used belly pan to replace this. It is much worse than I originally realized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts