Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mid 80's excel III 340 in great shape. just put new skis/skins on and use it quite often. just have a few questions if I could.
-it's my understanding that this machine has a 115" track on it? has anyone change the skid/track out for a longer part, maybe from an exciter or enticer (would love to get up to 122" or longer if possible)? maybe get above a 3/4" lug profile too?
-short of fabbing up custom brackets, anyway to gain a bit of height off the front skis?
-was thinking of maybe shortening the seat down a bit to just over half the length to gain a space to build a rack for spare gas tank and storage above the rear half of the tunnel
-slight increase to bar height?
-how much weight would be saved by removing the electric start components?
-i always hear of oil injection systems going on other machines, but haven't on this one. hopefully that will remain true

now i know this all seems like alot, but i like fiddling with things, have the time, materials and skills (or at least friends with skills if more than i can handle). yes i'd love to have a new sled, and one day will get there, but not yet (family comes first)!
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i did a 121 on a 83 enticer. similar to your excell. i remember the excell's having the shorter yet 109 track. quick and easy to figure out what you have.

when i did my conversion i used a 121 skid from an 87 srv along with a .92 track from a 94 vmax. the additional length required the fabrication of a longer tunnel extension as well as a new bumper. this would be your spot for the rack and extra gas without the trouble of the seat.

i had the mounting dimensions from the donor sled and this is about the most crucial advise i can give. it really simplifies the installation. some careful measuring, a few new holes drilled and the addition of some rear drop brackets and backing plates and the install was done.

brackets will have to be made to raise the front and the bars can be raised a bit using solid aluminum block, 3/4 or 1", cut, drilled and shaped to fit.

theres some ideas and food for thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Yamadad, any pics of the sled mod's you mentioned above? i have a chance to buy the skid, track, skis, front suspension, belly pan and tunnel off a mid 80's srv for a reasonable price I believe, $100.
figured could use the skid, track and then the tunnel to lengthen mine; but would love to see pics of yours. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
that sled spends all of its time at my cabin.(lucky sled). next time up i can take some pics and email them to you. it was a fun build and made a big difference with its snowability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts